Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

TTC while breastfeeding & no period!

(8 Posts)
APMama Sat 28-Jan-17 19:38:17

Anyone had any experience with this?

My little girl is 3.5 months and we'd like to start trying for number 2! Exclusively breastfeeding (she doesn't generally need feeding overnight though) and have had no periods... any tips?!

X

verybookish Sat 28-Jan-17 19:51:56

Wow you guys are in a hurry wink. I think the safest way of getting your periods back is to reduce/ stop breastfeeding. It is obviously your choice but I do think that there is something to be said for waiting a bit longer in order to a)give your body enough time to recuperate and to build up nutrients again and b) give your daughter a bit more time on the boob if that is something you care about. Good luck though!

McBaby Sat 28-Jan-17 20:06:49

I breastfed dd1 and dd2 both times ovulation has returned at 11/12 months after giving birth. The trigger for me seems to be dropping down to 2 breastfeeds a day.

If you are exclusively breastfeeding it is unlikely your period will return before 6 months. After this point as you start introducing food, water and they naturally cut down on feeding your period will return at some point.

For some women it returns when they stop night feeds, for others when they get to a certain number of feeds a day and for others when they stop breastfeeding. It's natures way of being able to support they baby you have who needs you before the next one arrives.

EmberRainbow Sat 28-Jan-17 21:01:41

I EBF for 6 months and have continued to breastfeed as my DS has no intention of giving it up!

My period returned when he was 14months but it and the next were rather light and my cycle increased to 30days. 3rd month was very heavy period and I fell pregnant!

Only change was that we sort of night weaned at 14m - still feed to sleep at 6/7pm, but I then don't feed till 5/6am. During day it's on demand so 3/4 long feeds generally but more if poorly ect.

Since being pregnant I appear to be feeding more, but am fairly relaxed in seeing how we go smile

InsaneMummyOfThree Sat 28-Jan-17 21:25:47

Just to let you know that you can still get pregnant without having your periods as it happened to me. My Dd was 12 weeks old when I got pregnant with Dd2. I was exclusively breastfeeding her at the time and we just decided that if it happened that would be fine. Didn't know I was expecting till I was about 8 weeks. Dd continued to breastfeed throughout the pregnancy and I even tandem fed for a few weeks afterwards. I did have a dip in supply when she was 4/5 months which is what prompted me to test, along with other symptoms. But other than that no issues. My Dd are 12 months and 2 weeks apart, it was a challenge but I wouldn't change it for the world.

littlewoodentrike Sat 28-Jan-17 21:42:31

A friend of mine was breastfeeding her 2.5 year old and her periods hadn't returned. She was trying for a while but is now pregnant, and she never had a period prior to getting pregnant. So it can happen!

McBaby Sun 29-Jan-17 09:03:52

I didn't have a period between dd1 and dd2 which is how I know I started ovulating 11 months after she was born!

oatybiscuits Sun 29-Jan-17 19:55:37

Lots of people do get pregnant while breastfeeding either intentionally or because they thought it was adequate contraception, and some people find they have to stop breastfeeding to conceive. It's worth bearing in mind though that your milk supply will likely drop during pregnancy (it was actually my first symptom) and for some people it stops altogether around 20 weeks, so think about how you'd feel about stopping breastfeeding at least exclusively if the decision was taken out of your hands. Also your body takes some time to recover from pregnancy (up to 2 years to lose the hormones that cause pgp and back pain). Not to mention having 2 babies eep! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now