Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you set up your nursery?

(85 Posts)
Kelsey28 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:53:20

More out of curiousity than anything else :-). I am going to get mine next weekend I think. Will be 28 weeks pregnant and have just moved house so thought I would get it while I get everything else!

Foggymist Sat 28-Jan-17 19:10:04

Well he's 20 months old now and we still don't have a nursery so there's no huge rush really :D

Snifftest Sat 28-Jan-17 19:23:11

We decorated it when I was about 30 weeks then dumped everything baby related in there with the plan of organising it all when I went on mat leave.

Cut to 38weeks, waters break and I'm organising it all at 3am!

You'll have people saying there's no need for a nursery as baby won't go in it for 6 months, but I wanted somewhere for all their stuff to be kept as there was no room in ours so I figured we may as well decorat it too as we also have a spare room anyway.

cocochanel21 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:23:35

With Dd1 24 years ago she never had a nursery. We shared my bedroom,we lived with my parents till she was 3.
Dd2 is 13mths we finished the nursery 3mths ago. When she was born the nursery was full of bags and boxes every time I went in it I quickly turned round and went back outgrin.

SockQueen Sat 28-Jan-17 23:33:02

DS is 4 months old and it's still not "set up." We moved house when he was only a few weeks old and although it's got his changing table and cot in it (he's currently in a little crib in our room), there's also a whole bunch of crap from the move and most of our clothes in there as we don't have a wardrobe yet. We'll get it more sorted by the time he's 6 months, but won't be doing much in the way of decorating, maybe just some pictures.

notanothernamechangebabes Sat 28-Jan-17 23:34:14

4 Months old and we're just talking about extending our home to make space for it....

He's just taken over the whole place TBH

Lizardtoes Sat 28-Jan-17 23:34:31

My dd is two, I'm pregnant with number two and still haven't set up a nursery, hoping to get dd in her own room before squish arrives!

PonderLand Sat 28-Jan-17 23:43:41

We moved into our current house when I was 32 weeks pg envy we've just finished painting it now and my DS is 8m old. I wish we'd moved in sooner and had it done in time. I find it stressful having boxes and piles of stuff taking up rooms. Especially with a newborn! We've been changing him on our kitchen table -- nappy station--.

ConvincingLiar Sat 28-Jan-17 23:48:06

I put baby stuff in the spare room when pregnant. Kept his clothes in there after birth. Moved him in at 8m. Did some decorating at 18m.

If you'd enjoy sorting it out, then do it pre-baby, but your baby really won't care.

TwoDogs9 Sun 29-Jan-17 04:20:02

@snifftest OMG thats exactly what happened with me!! Minus the organising it at 3am, hence it's still like a bombsite!

GruffaloPants Sun 29-Jan-17 04:33:30

When DD1 was 2.5y old smile

jpeg28 Sun 29-Jan-17 08:21:54

I'm 29 weeks and doing ours today! Decorated last weekend and cot going up today. I know it's not necessary this early but I just like to be organised!

welshweasel Sun 29-Jan-17 08:26:26

Got a chest of drawers fairly early in pregnancy and everything got put in his room. Built a cot at 4 months and decorated then (well, put some stickers on the wall). He's didn't sleep in there til 7 months and I still haven't changed him anywhere other than the lounge floor or our bed. If you're planning on having them sleep in your room for a few months then really all you need is somewhere to store their clothes and nappies.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sun 29-Jan-17 08:46:01

It was sorted in terms of furniture and so on by about 7 months pregnant. DH spent his paternity leave painting pictures on the walls. DD barely went in it for the first 3 months but It was good to have organised space for her stuff.

eurochick Sun 29-Jan-17 08:58:15

When she was 7-8 months. She was in our room until then. We also moved when she was 5 months.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Sun 29-Jan-17 09:05:19

Cot was delivered about a week after DD was born......
Lesson 1. Never assume your child will be full-term or overdue just because everyone tells you first babies are always late 😀
We muddled through without pram , car seat, cot and quite a few other "essentials" much to the amusement of family and friends who bailed us out.

Full on Pinterest themed or tasteful nursery? Never got around to that 😀 Most children's stuff is brightly coloured so we found that spanking white walls and lots of colourful kids stuff did the trick. Plus you can tone it all down quickly for guests if your baby sleeps in the "spare" room once old enough.

Helbelle75 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:48:49

We built our cot and wardrobe at 27 weeks, and all baby things organised. It seemed a bit early, but I wanted to get it done before I was the size of a whale, and I like to be ready.
Hospital bag all packed as well.
I can spend the rest of the time making pretty things for the nursery now!

haveacupoftea Sun 29-Jan-17 09:54:40

22 weeks here and not sure if I will get it sorted before baby comes, I hope I will. I am focusing on getting the essentials first then doing nursery last. But I have managed to get a bit ahead and have crib and travel system, moses basket, clothes etc. Next on list is hospital bag and changing bag. When thats all done i'll get a new floor down in nursery, paint, and get furniture for it and the big cot - maybe when I go on mat leave at 35 weeks.

Kelsey28 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:55:57

I'll be setting it up as soon as the furniture arrives. Feels a bit like I'm jinxing her sad. But it might make it seem like she is actually going to arrive if she has her own bedroom. I'm planning on her sleeping in there from when she comes home so it kind of needs to be ready.

Foggymist Sun 29-Jan-17 10:10:34

It's advised that baby sleeps in the same room as you for the first while, will you be sleeping in there too?

RasperryInAMelon Sun 29-Jan-17 10:11:34

24 weeks here, we've just had a new carpet go down and the walls papered and painted etc. DH and I spent yesterday putting together furniture and putting things away. I'm going on Mat Leave in 8 weeks too due to PGP so know that it's likely my back won't be upto doing much in a few weeks.

I can't wait for my rocking / nursing chair to arrive so I can spend my Mat Leave sat in there relaxing, knitting and making a mobile smile

RasperryInAMelon Sun 29-Jan-17 10:12:59

Meant to add, we don't know how quickly I'm going to have to go back to work at the moment, with advice and routines from SIL who is a newborn nanny - we're going to attempt to have DD in her own room within 2-6 weeks

ShowOfHands Sun 29-Jan-17 10:14:42

My DC are 9 and 5 respectively and I still haven't got round to it.

Kelsey28 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:15:57

My mum never had me or my sister in her bedroom. But we were in the hospital for the first 19 days? I have to go back to work within 4 months of having her so I want her in a rountine asap. I don't know. This is my first time sad

Rainatnight Sun 29-Jan-17 10:16:55

That's lovely wallpaper!

We're expecting our adopted baby to arrive the week after next, and room has to be ready and perfect for her. She sleeps in her own room at foster carer's and never slept well when she was in with her. So (sadly) she'll be going straight in her own room, and we''ll have had about three weeks altogether to make it perfect. It feels a bit stressful at the moment! But cot and drawers got built yesterday so feels like we're making progress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now