Talk

Advanced search

Scared about retinol cream use

(4 Posts)
Theveryhungrybutterfly Sat 28-Jan-17 09:15:09

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some reassurance as I'm freaking myself out.

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and all the way through I have been using small amounts of a 1% retinol cream on my face (http://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/clinical-1-retinol-treatment.html). I have only used a pea size amount each time and I've probably only used it once every few days on my acne. But some of those time will have been on broken skin which will make it absorb more.

I've just found out that I shouldn't be using this in pregnancy because it can cause birth defects. I honestly don't know how I didn't realise this before, I've been so careful about everything else sad

Information on the internet varies widely between saying the topical creams probably won't cause harm although you shouldn't use them, to doctors saying it can cause serious defects especially to the face and limbs. I think I'm also worrying because at my scan this week we saw baby's face and I thought it looked a bit strange. But I don't know if that's normal at 10 weeks or if it was the angle of the ultrasound.

Anyway, safe to say I am driving myself mad with worry that I have harmed the baby. Has anyone else ever used these creams by mistake and had a baby that was unaffected? Xxx

FartnissEverbeans Sat 28-Jan-17 10:09:18

I imagine baby's face will definitely look a bit weird at ten weeks!

I did a bit of research on this too when I was pregnant (I wasn't using a cream at the time but wanted to check whether I could). I got the impression that the evidence didn't suggest it would cause defects but medical professionals like to err on the side of caution.

Have you spoken to your dr about it yet?

Kelsey28 Sat 28-Jan-17 10:28:17

MrsCrabTree my baby looked really scary at ten weeks! I thought she looked so ugly! She's looked much cuter at 12/20 weeks! I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just see what your doctor says :-)

Theveryhungrybutterfly Sun 29-Jan-17 09:49:20

Thanks for your responses xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now