Talk

Advanced search

Antenatal class

(12 Posts)
user1819 Fri 27-Jan-17 19:54:02

So I'm exactly 12weeks as far as I know today, going for my 12 week scan on Monday. Which I'm incredibly nervous for ..

But I went to my first antenatal class today and she asked me if i wanted her to try and find my babies heartbeat.. I said yes, but unfortunately couldn't find anything.. I felt so down and It's made me more nervous for Monday now..  she did try and reassure me and tell me the baby is either in an awkward position or too small..

Is it normal not to find the heart beat at around 12 weeks?

(First baby)

purplefizz26 Fri 27-Jan-17 19:59:43

As far as I am aware it's not normal to even offer to find the heartbeat that early!

I think around 16 weeks is the norm for the heartbeat to be checked, and even then they warn you it can be hard to locate.

Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything, baby is so tiny and well hidden at this stage.

MoonlightMojitos Fri 27-Jan-17 19:59:54

I'm suprised she even offered. Mine won't listen until after 25 weeks so it doesn't stress you put as it can be difficult to find. I've not heard of any midwives trying until after at least 16 weeks. I'm also suprised you had an ante natal classes this early?!

LazyBeetroot Fri 27-Jan-17 19:59:58

I think 12 weeks is very early to hear a heartbeat. Many midwives won't even check at the 16 week appointment as it's common not to be able to find it. So please try not to worry.
Hope your scan goes well.

KatnissMellark Fri 27-Jan-17 21:16:35

My midwife won't listen til 25 weeks. Try not to worry flowers

user1819 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:50:32

Iam incredibly scared! Tomorrow is the day I guess that will give me answers , I just hope the right ones

Absolutely terrified, but excited at the same time!

Thankyou everyone x

IWantATardis Mon 30-Jan-17 00:04:50

In my last pregnancy, the midwife wouldn't try to find the heartbeat until after the 20 week scan.

Kelsey28 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:36:11

Ante natal classes at 12 weeks? We couldn't book anything till the end of Feb with baby due in April. 12 weeks is super early to look for a heartbeat my midwife wouldn't look til 25 weeks for exactly this reason, it's given you so much needless update. Wishing you a lovely scan today x

user1819 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:58:06

Really appreciate it thankyou! So nervous!!!blush

jld128 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:19:59

hi i wouldn't worry i'm wondering why you had an ante natal class already but anyway i had my first class last week at 16weeks and she wouldn't look for a heartbeat as it's too early but i've had 5scans and had a lovely strong heartbeat on all of them so try not to stress

arbrighton Mon 30-Jan-17 10:32:08

I had heartbeat at midwife last week but only after discussion of it being a bit early so not to worry if she couldn't find it (17 weeks)
Have to admit I'm also a bit confused by a class that early and said class including trying to find heartbeat. Who is running this class? Are they even aware it's too early and they might actually be causing more harm and worry than good.

I don't expect to be going to any classes til sometime in third trimester

Amz26 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:52:37

How did it go today? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now