Talk

Advanced search

Retained placenta- likely to happen again?

(21 Posts)
ExpectoPatronummmm Thu 26-Jan-17 21:08:00

My placenta wouldnt come out when i had my daughter 6 years ago.
They tried pulling it, injecting it, making me stand, making me BF, insertig a catheta and after an hour was about to take me to theatre when they said 'one last thing to try' amd this bloke walked in and rammed his arm up my foof, runnaged around and yanked it out (was F'in horrible)

I was telling my new midwife today and she shocked me by saying they SHOULD NOT have done that to me and that I should have been taken to surgery and to not allow it again.

Now im shitting myself that im gonna have a retained placenta with this one.

Anyone had it happen more than once?

Anyone had the same horrible outcome as me?

Mustbeinsane1984 Thu 26-Jan-17 21:35:18

Keeping watch on this one as same happened to me minus the injection with my first. They manually took it! Hurt more than the birth. Eek. I forgot to mention this to my doctor for this pregnancy, last time I was there so it's on my list of questions when I see him next. If they take you to theatre do they give you something to numb the area first or do they knock you out normally?

ExpectoPatronummmm Thu 26-Jan-17 21:38:14

My midwife said today that what they would/should have done is an epidural and then pulled it out using some kind of tool.

She was horrified that a man pit his hand up and yanked it out. She said that was them taking an easy (lazy) way out and not taking my own care (or pain!) into consideration. Grrr

thethoughtfox Thu 26-Jan-17 21:39:09

That happened to me too. I was already in theatre ready for an emergency CS but they got the baby out with forceps. The female doctor couldn't get the placenta out so had to 'get a man in'. I was dragged up and down the table by my insides. They actually pulled my hip out of its socket which no one noticed till I got physio later. I've never heard of this happening to anyone else!

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 26-Jan-17 21:42:24

Jesus Christ these stories are barbaric.
flowers to all of you, ffs.

Mum2jenny Thu 26-Jan-17 21:42:38

Had a trapped placenta with dc1 but no issues with dc2. Hth.

Mustbeinsane1984 Thu 26-Jan-17 21:52:56

Hopefully not again! I'm not upset or anything about it I had my gorgeous baby in my arms but I was monitored closely as I lost a lot of blood and almost had to have transfusion. Just mentally preparing...

SunshineAllTheWhile Thu 26-Jan-17 21:57:57

Holy fuck. There are not enough flowers for you ladies. Everything crossed for an uneventful placenta delivery this time. flowers

Nospringflower Thu 26-Jan-17 22:06:35

I had a retained placenta with my first but was taken straight to theatre and it was removed (cant actually remember how but i had already had an epidural and cant have been too bad.) Was fine with my next 2 though.

Sillybeagle Thu 26-Jan-17 23:07:09

I had the same worry as you when pregnant with my second. DC1 was born and then I had the injection, barely 5 minutes passed and she pulled on the cord which promptly snapped! I had the similar treatment was prepped for theatre but had a female doctor try to remove it and then the consultant came along and removed it manually-so horrible don't think I'll ever forget that feeling of his fingers scrabbling around my insides, that's beside the pain!!

Anyway I explained my anxiety to the midwife when I went in with DC2. She was really good and reassuring. Had a good water birth and this time around no injection just sat on the ledge of the bath pushed and it all came out easily. So difficulty first time doesn't mean you'll get this again.

Diamondsandpurls Thu 26-Jan-17 23:15:55

I had this twice, luckily I was treated slightly
More humanely, there was tugging in the delivery room but no movement, so taken to theatre, given a spinal and had manual removal. It was irritating, but no pain-seeing a male registrar and then second time a female registrar manually removing my placenta was a sight to behold but I'm thankful they did such a good job as I had no other issues and I had really minimal bleeding after the first day pp, I do put it down to that (rightly or wrongly). I also had no tearing. I was unlucky to have it happen twice but really lucky to have had such great medical staff who were amazingly kind to me (apart from first anaesthetist who wouldn't let me sleep while it was happening grin). Don't fear it, just expect it could happen but let them know in no uncertain terms that you expect to be taken to theatre and dealt with there with a spinal block.

AWhistlingWoman Thu 26-Jan-17 23:21:19

Had a retained placenta with DD2. Also had a manual removal - still gives me the shivers thinking about it now!

No placenta issues with either DS1 or DD3 who both came after. Didn't even ask about it as was firmly in denial about the whole placenta experience with DD2. Shivers again.

Your poor hip thoughtfox shock

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 26-Jan-17 23:26:06

Agree that you need to make it quite clear to the midwife when you're in labour that if a repeat incident occurs, you must be taken to surgery and dealt with properly. Put it in your birth plan and ensure your birth partner knows to advocate on your behalf.

Starstar1 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:36:09

I had a retained placenta with dc1, it wasn't the nicest experience (ambulance ride from midwife led unit, separated from newborn baby, spinal and much longer than expected in theatre) and I worried all through my second pregnancy. I needn't have though because I had no problems second time around. Hope that helps and good luck.

jobrum Thu 26-Jan-17 23:48:13

Retained placenta here two years ago. Mw and dr said it's impossible to say f it will happen again. I had the injrection, gentle pressure on my abdomen and ulling on the cord which came clean off. I was taken to theatre and given an epidural to have it removed - I felt nothing at all even with most of an arm up me, the only distress I felt was that I had to be taken away from dh and dd. If it does happen again I won't be worried about the removal. Definitely discuss this with your mw and make your concerns really clear.

FairyDogMother11 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:49:54

My MIL had this with both my DP and his sister, two years apart. The doctors said it was virtually unheard of for it to happen more than once, so I'm assuming it's quite rare. Hopefully you'll sail through this time flowers

gillybeanz Thu 26-Jan-17 23:53:20

It was happening again but I heard the words we'll have to call upstairs, meaning manual removal and pushed really hard midwife pushed down on me as well and bingo.
Was worried for a while though.
I think it was too much gas and air with me as seemed to have much less with ds1 who was no problem.

lilyborderterrier Sun 29-Jan-17 14:09:13

Following this as I had a retained placenta with dd1 and am 9 weeks pregnant with no2.
It was horrible I ended up exhausted after a 10 lovely water birth labor in theatre with an epidural and morphine. Internal stitches and loss of lots of blood. I had to spend 4 days on hospital and I hated it, feeding my daughter was horrendous and due to an incorrect latch she chewed my nipple off angry
I'm trying not to stress about this pregnancy as I know there's nothing I can do to prevent it but I a teeny bit scared !

Scrumptiouscrumpets Mon 30-Jan-17 06:43:20

I had a retained placenta with DS1, had an induction and loads of oxytocin, which increases the risk of a retained placenta. Had no issues at all with DS2.

In any case, you can say no to any kind of medical intervention you don't want. Just say no. Instruct your birthing partner to support you in your decision should the same situation occur again - which is very unlikely.

Aebj Mon 30-Jan-17 06:50:04

With ds 1 I had a retained placenta . I had a natural birth with just gas and air but had to have an epidural to get the placenta out. Didn't feel a thing.
Didn't have a problem with ds2. Delivered both ds and placenta no problems

WhatYouTalkinBout Mon 30-Jan-17 11:58:50

I hade a retained placenta with both my pregnancies.

Ds1 I had to sit on a commode for 45 minutes and it eventually slipped out

Ds2 The midwifes left me on the bed for a bit and then tugged it out

Both times natural birth with gas and air

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now