Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bump measuring off the scale

(22 Posts)
Lotsofqueries Thu 26-Jan-17 20:36:26

Been to the midwives and they measured my bump and plotted it on a fundal height graph that shows 3 other lines, the bottom being 27cm, top one being 28.5cm and I'm measuring 30cm. Should I be concerned how big my bump is? I'm 28 weeks. I wasn't overweight before pregnancy at 9.7stone.

TheTantrumCometh Thu 26-Jan-17 20:43:54

Not really, no. They're not the most accurate way of measuring, even given your healthy weight before pregnancy. If it's still measuring large at your next appointment your midwife may arrange a growth scan for you, but again, not anything to be concerned about.

I had this with my first. Bump measured consistently big and growth scans showed large baby. I had had a GTT anyway because of family history and they gave me another one just to make sure as babies of those with gestational diabetes tend to be bigger, but it came back clear. DD ended up weighing 8lb 15oz, so not exactly tiny, but definitely not the gargantuan baby I was expecting.

ExpectoPatronummmm Thu 26-Jan-17 21:10:53

Well what did yoir midwife say? If she plotted it and said nothing then no need to worry. If it was cause for concern she would have said what to be concerned about.
You will probably just have a larger baby. Ie 9lb rather than 7lb

raviolidreaming Thu 26-Jan-17 21:43:05

My midwife said they allow for 2cm either side, so at 28 weeks you are okay to be between 26cm and 30cm. In my case, baby seemed to have had a growth spurt and was back on target at my next appointment.

BLjwTwx3 Thu 26-Jan-17 22:02:30

Not really no but I would push for a scan just incase of excess fluid. It's probably not the case, sometimes your bump just has a growth spurt but it's always worth getting checked out smile

Lotsofqueries Thu 26-Jan-17 22:02:38

That's good to hear. Could be a growth spurt. Midwife said I was measuring big but not necessarily a big baby. Didn't say much else. Wasn't until I checked my notes afterwards to see actually how big!

Lotsofqueries Thu 26-Jan-17 22:04:15

I have to have a scan at 32 weeks because of low placenta so that's only 4 weeks away. Maybe that will flag up if anything is not right?

Ledkr Thu 26-Jan-17 22:05:42

I measured 46 weeks at 36 weeks. I just had a lot of fluid.

Lotsofqueries Thu 26-Jan-17 22:10:01

What size was baby? Did they do extra tests or want you to give birth earlier? Anything like that?

BLjwTwx3 Thu 26-Jan-17 22:15:37

I didn't find out about my excess fluid until after birth because my bump was measuring normal and baby was small.

But the risks basically (if you have it) are that you are more likely to give birth prematurely due to extra weight on the womb, your waters are likely to go as the first sign of labour (not really a risk) and they advise you to give birth in hospital as there are more emergency treatments available.

It can also be caused by gestational diabetes or very occasionally, an issue with baby which is why it should be picked up and you should be monitored. The very vast majority of ladies have completely healthy babies though.

I wouldn't even worry about it yet because it's completely possible your bump has just spurred overnight which happens to a lot of women but definitely have a scan as if you do have it, it may affect your birth plan etc and youll probably have tests for GD and a scan on baby c

SnackSnackEatAndCrave Thu 26-Jan-17 22:26:24

I had a huge bump... Growth scans showed I'd probably have a long 9-10 pound baby (I'm 5'2“ and a size 10), induced at 41 weeks and DD was 8lb3oz!
It's not an exact science, try not to worry too much smile

SansaClegane Thu 26-Jan-17 22:28:17

Not an issue as such. I always measured 3-4 weeks ahead by bump measurement! If the bump is big due to excess fluid, that might be a problem - mine were 'all baby' though so the midwives weren't too worried.

dodi1978 Thu 26-Jan-17 22:29:05

I measured big because I had polyhydraminos (too much water). Had GDD test which came back negative and had two extra scans at 32 and 36 weeks. No major concerns.
Because of the polyhydraminos I was told to go into hospital as soon as my waters went... and they did go with a big gush at 39 weeks exactly. They would have induced me at 40 weeks as they weren't comfortable with me going over. Consultant was happy for me to have water birth but midwifes were less comfortable with it and I was on labour ward. Was still a midwife-led birth with no complications. Don't worry.

buckyou Thu 26-Jan-17 22:33:59

I measured 38cm at 34 weeks I think it was, so went for a growth scan and was fine. It's since measured 37cm at 36 weeks and 37.5 at 38 weeks.. But I doubt baby has shrunk!

I think it's a bit daft personally. The sonographer said they are looking to stop big bump scans soon anyway.

raviolidreaming Fri 27-Jan-17 12:08:05

www.pi.nhs.uk/nice/index.htm

This NHS link says the guidelines would trigger investigation once fundal height was 3cm different than gestational age, so you might be at the top of the scale but you're not 'off the scale' - you're still within the scale smile Fingers crossed it's a growth spurt that's evened out by your next appointment.

harleysmammy Fri 27-Jan-17 17:04:24

They arent all that accurate, my baby is a week and a half ahead of himself by dates but is spot on fundal height. My sister in law had a baby 7 days ago, induced 4 weeks early because she was off the scale beyond the top centile for months, my nephew was born last week at 5lbs. So not huge like they said he would be. Dont worry x

needtoloseastone Fri 27-Jan-17 19:48:43

Hiya, I was measuring 34cm at 28 weeks so was sent for a growth scan which I had today. Baby is 4lb 1oz at 32weeks which is on the 50th centile so not big at all. They were more concerned that baby was breech xx

Lotsofqueries Fri 27-Jan-17 20:58:50

Did they say why you are measuring bigger then? Is there still time for baby to turn?

needtoloseastone Sat 28-Jan-17 11:52:48

I honestly think it's down to the midwives measuring differently. The consultant said that they will book me in for another scan at 36weeks and then decide what the best course of action is. I think we do have enough time to get the baby in the right position x

thecatsarecrazy Sat 28-Jan-17 12:13:51

I found out at 38 weeks I had extra fluid. Midwife didn't pick up on it, she sent me for a scan to see if baby was breach or not and it was spotted then. Unfortunately it meant I was induced at 39plus 3 and couldn't have a water birth. There was so much fluid when I gave birth it was unreal

SharkBastard Sat 28-Jan-17 12:32:58

It's not a great measure at all. I have to have growth scans as DD was big at 38 weeks. I measured big throughout with her.

I'm now 28 weeks with DS, had a scan on Tuesday and he's measuring big too at 3lb 4oz. Consultant just said they will monitor it all but expect I'll have a big baby again like my great grandma, grandma, mother, great nan and nan before me...genetics

I wouldn't worry too much, position of the baby can make the measurement off!

pinkpixiepanda Sat 28-Jan-17 22:20:55

I really wouldn't worry about it it's not accurate my belly is always measuring a little bigger but my baby is measuring on the smaller side of normal at scans
I wasn't over weight before I got pregnant either
Could just be water or everything just so squished it's pushing your belly out more
As long as you are both healthy don't worry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now