Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

21 week scan

(7 Posts)
Lau121 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:15:33

So I went for my second scan today and she said all was OK but as I was leaving she said that I have to understand that ultrasounds alone cannot exclude all genetic syndromes or chromosomal abnormalities and then the lady who gave me my file back said have you been felling flutters ect I said yes and she said good any problems or concerns just give us a ring, so this has scarred me abit thinking that there might be somthing wrong with my baby or is this just what they have to tell every pregnant lady? I don't remember this being said with my little boy, anyone have any ideas what this is about please? Thanks

kathrynelizabeth3005 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:46:52

I think it's the case for everyone and although they didn't say it to me in so many words at my 20 weeks scan, the report itself has that included. It says that even if things appear normal, abnormalities cannot be completely ruled out with certainty and if you find out the sex it isn't always 100% reliable.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry smile

savagehk Thu 26-Jan-17 18:49:24

Think they told me the same tbh.

GreenGoblin0 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:52:10

it's nothing to worry about. if they had detected something they would've told you.

SnackSnackEatAndCrave Thu 26-Jan-17 18:52:32

The sonographer me the same too... I suppose in the age of "where there's a blame there's a claim", they have to make it clear nothing is exact :/
I suppose the lady giving your file back was probably just trying to be friendly and reassuring, letting you know they're there if you need them... But obviously hopefully you won't! smile

cx5221 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:55:38

Oh I think you just had text book Tina!
I had text book Tom when I had my scan with my dd2 I felt rubbish after it.

After the scan he told me from what he could see that day everything looked ok but they might not have picked up on genetic abnormalities or things such as autism / ADHD (not sure how you would in a scan confused ) and there was still a chance things could go wrong before I made it to term. hmm
He told me he couldn't tell me the sex because he was worried about it being wrong. I'm surprised I managed to get him to commit to the fact a baby was in there grin

I left really really stressed out and worried but dd was fine I did wonder afterwards if he'd got in trouble in the past or something to make him so over cautious.

I had another scan a few weeks later (growth) and got a lovely woman who reassured me. If you're really stressed could you afford a private scan? I do think it was just an over cautious sonographer though

Lau121 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:20:28

Thanks for your replies made me feel much better, yes I did think she was just covering their backs, yes I'm going to do a 4d scan but I think there best around 26 28 weeks but if I think anything is wrong I will go sooner, thanks again ladies xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now