Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Telling family and friends

(3 Posts)
BobbinsBoo1 Thu 26-Jan-17 10:43:13

Just wondering when others tell family and friends about being pregnant?

I have 2 older children so I would like to tell them before we tell anyone else but I know that as soon as we tell them they will be too excited to keep it to themselves.

Keeping it a secret until 12 weeks seems impossible. Morning sickness has kicked, just nausea at the moment, but there's no way the dc won't notice if I'm being sick. Think they'll both worry something is wrong. But at the same time I'm worried about telling them so early and something going wrong and the kids being affected.

So just curious really about when everyone else told people they were pregnant.

Fizz190 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:03:49

Hi Bobbins,

We told immediate family (parents and siblings) the day we got a positive test result! This is our first and we couldn't keep it to ourselves!

We paid for an early scan at 7 weeks so told our closest friends after that.

Then everyone else after the 12 week scan.

My logic was that if (god forbid) anything had gone wrong, who would we lean on for support? Those were the people we told pre 12 weeks.

Fizz x

Laura2507 Thu 26-Jan-17 22:16:29

I told immediate family and closest friends as soon as I got the positive test, but that's because if anything went wrong I knew I would tell them that also. I've also chosen to do this on my own (ivf) so I don't have a partner for support so it was important to have support of those close to me.

I was intending on telling work after 12 weeks but sickness and nausea has got the better of me and this week (11 weeks) I've started telling people and actually it's so much easier than trying to hide it! I also had an early scan so comfortable that next weeks scan will be ok.

What age are your children? I can understand the need to protect children more. Could you tell them it's a bug but reassure them it's ok? And maybe tell immediate family/friends for support?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now