Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second pregnancy anxiety - Is this normal?

(12 Posts)
Notsure1234 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:35:57

Hi,

I'm hoping to hear from others that the crazy thoughts I've been having are in fact completely normal!

I am 7 weeks pregnant with my second baby and can't shake this feeling of doom that I've had for the past few days. I'm not so much anxious about the pregnancy like I was first time round, more anxious that something will happen to me. I know that sounds so selfish but I'm so scared I will die during labour or pregnancy and leave my boy without a mummy and won't get to see him grow up.

I keep looking at him thinking how perfect he is and how lucky I am to have him and wondering why I selfishly chose to have another baby and jeopardise it all. I feel like I've been lucky enough and I'm tempting fate.

I try to be rational and tell myself that loads of people have 2+ dc and it's fine but I just can't stop worrying.

I am happy overall about the pregnancy and I'm so pleased to be giving my son a sibling but I really wish I could skip the pregnancy part and have the baby here right now to get on with our lives. I'm so scared. Pregnancy feels so much riskier now I have a child to think about as well.

Has anyone else felt this way?

Thanks

Sassenach85 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:40:43

Only one DD but can sympathise with your feelings. I reckon I'd feel the same but also think it's probably quite common too.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Wed 25-Jan-17 20:44:28

I'm 9 weeks and I'm so nervous. I had a problematic pregnancy and birth but still ended up with a perfect but crackers DC.

I'm petrified that something will go wrong. Ignorance was bliss last time! I feel your pain.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Wed 25-Jan-17 20:47:04

Feeling of doom is the perfect way to describe it. I'm hoping that after my scan I'll feel better.

lilyborderterrier Wed 25-Jan-17 20:48:13

Snap I'm feeling the same. I have a very nearly 4 year old daughter and am currently 8.5 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. It was planned ( we were trying 7 months) are very happy but I have a real fear that something will go wrong. Especially today after I have had awlful tummy ache ( a bit like period pain) I've had no bleeding and am eating and drinking but it's that horrible feeling. I cannot wait until the scan to get past this and so we can tell everyone especially my daughter ( who will be over the moon).
I know I'm older now 38 and that we found out so early (1st missed period) so I think it's this that's why I'm
So paranoid.

Sending hugs xx

Notsure1234 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:51:52

Thank you for all the replies.

It's comforting to know others are feeling this way, even though I don't wish it on anyone! Makes me feel more normal.

flowers to everyone going through the same right now

Notsure1234 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:54:16

lily I've had period type pains today too. I'm 7+5 weeks. I had an early scan today (not for that reason) and all was well so I assume it's normal although I don't remember it from my last pregnancy

3boys3dogshelp Wed 25-Jan-17 20:58:09

I think it's quite common. Once you've had one baby some of the 'innocence' and excitement of being pregnant is gone. I also found that everyone told me their horror stories from birth after I had dc1, then I had to do it again!
Don't forget you are making a sibling for your dc1 though, that is pretty special and beneficial thing for them too, this pregnancy isn't just for your benefit at all.

itsgoingtoofast Wed 25-Jan-17 20:58:30

I felt like this second time round too! Sobbed the night before going in to hospital for my elcs, I was so worried that something bad would happen and also about the impact it would have on my precious first born. It is perfectly normal I think!

BingThing Wed 25-Jan-17 22:20:05

I'm on dc3 and felt exactly like that for pretty much the first trimester but now 31 weeks and just feel excited. Thing the worries about something happening in labour might return closer to the time though! I think it's quite common tbh but fingers crossed it will disappear or improve as you get further on x x

Beth6487 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:21:03

Hi, I'm sort of the same as you except this is my first pregnancy. I'm 18 weeks and I still can't shake the feeling of doom and something bad happening to me or the baby. I don't know if it gets any better throughout the pregnancy but I got told on this sight when I asked a similar question that many other ladies have the sense of impending doom looming over them during pregnancy so don't think just because you have these thoughts that something bad must happen. I think it's because our hormones are everywhere and we hear horror stories all over the place. Sending my love x

upthewolves Fri 27-Jan-17 15:13:18

OP I could have written your post! Just found out expecting DC2, DD is 18mo. I have also had the worries about something happening to me in labour and also just extreme guilt about another baby coming along and taking my attention away from DD. I remember how relentless it was, during those first few months! This thread has reassured me that those fears are normal so thank you flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now