Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)

(4 Posts)
user1470147116 Wed 25-Jan-17 15:55:05

I've had 3 early miscarriages at 5 weeks.

I've had blood tests and been told I have Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS).

So when I get pregnant again I need to start daily aspiring and heparin injection.

-Has anyone had a successful pregnant with APS?

-Anything else you did besides aspirin and heparin?

-Did you have heparin once or twice a day (I read it only lasts 12 hours in body)

-Any foods, supplements or exercise help? (I'm taking ubiquinol, salmon fish oils, and pregnacare conception)

Imnotaslimjim Wed 25-Jan-17 15:57:45

I have a friend with APS. She had 5 losses before it was discovered. She went on to have 2 successful pregnancies with the addition of heparin during the pregnancies. I can't give you any details as it was 21 and 19 years ago but thought you could take hope from knowing about someone who did have a baby with APS.

user1470147116 Wed 25-Jan-17 16:09:13

Thank you Imnotaslimjim

StrawbRhi Wed 25-Jan-17 19:17:33

Hi Op.
Similar story- 4 miscarriages between 5 and 7 weeks. Investigations showed possible APS but I became pregnant again before they could confirm with a second blood test.

I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant with a very healthy looking baby girl and have had no problems so far. I was advised to take heparin twice a day but refused on grounds that the diagnosis was not certain and I have a tendency to faint when injected! I take 75mg aspirin a day and eat foods like garlic and ginger which have known blood thinning properties. Supplements containing those things or consuming large amounts are not advised though.

I am consultant led but no one seems very worried. My midwife didn't even know what it was hmm

Like I mentioned, I haven't had an official diagnosis but the initial bloods made it pretty obvious. I'm sorry I can't give you any more information on injecting heparin (I'd say do some research though) but I hope that knowing someone else has made it his far gives you some hope

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now