Talk

Advanced search

bloody show, no contractions

(11 Posts)
thecatsarecrazy Wed 25-Jan-17 08:56:49

I'm 39 weeks plus 1, due to be induced tomorrow. I was examined yesterday and she said baby not engaged yet and cervix still closed. I've just had the start of a show could this be because she poked about yesterday?

Snifftest Wed 25-Jan-17 10:36:02

Could be. Your show can happen weeks before the big event or, like me, not happen until after your waters break.

vickiemother Wed 25-Jan-17 10:42:06

It's pretty likely - more women than not let me know they've had some form of show after I've given a stretch and sweep. If this is your first baby then it could mean that there are some cervical changes happening for the plug to come away but it's not a reliable indicator of labour starting. Women can lose their plug weeks before they deliver. Also if this is your first baby then the fact it's not engaged yet would be quite surprising to me and would make me less likely to suspect labour will start soon. Did she say it's not engaged at all or that it's not fully engaged (it's normally recorded in your notes in fifths - this will either be how many fifths she can feel or how many are engaged depending on how your trusts notes are laid out). If you're worried at all call your midwife but otherwise it's very common to have a show after a membrane sweep - if you had any fresh red bleeding that wouldn't be normal though and you should contact your midwife or maternity triage at hospital) xx

vickiemother Wed 25-Jan-17 10:43:38

Also out of interest why are they inducing you early? Feel free to tell me to stop being nosy - it's just the midwife in me always wants to ask these things lol.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 25-Jan-17 11:08:39

This is my 3rd baby, first was all natural he came couple of days after due date all lovely, 2nd was long labour, 10 days late and back to back, with this one I've got Polyhydramnios and just found out because of gestational diabetes so they want to induce this week.

mumxof3x Wed 25-Jan-17 14:10:37

I was losing my bloody show for three weeks before the actual birth, I would suspect it was caused to dislodge by the sweep and the blood mixed in can also be caused from the sweep. Hopefully it is the start though. Good luck 🍀

divadee Wed 25-Jan-17 14:53:27

I had a bloody show last week. No contractions. Still nothing else brewing. So it can be a while.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 25-Jan-17 15:52:52

I was a bit worried when I saw it because I was alone most of the day. Hasn't come to anything.

Superaspie Wed 25-Jan-17 15:56:36

I had a bloody show at 33 weeks. I went to hospital to get checked and they found nothing untoward. DD2 was born perfectly healthy the very next day.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 25-Jan-17 16:24:56

I'm not looking forward to being induced. With my last 2 I woke with contractions and a show. This is all new to me.

TheTartOfAsgard Wed 25-Jan-17 20:37:42

Both pregnancies I had a show 2 days before giving birth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now