Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First pregnancy. Please help!!!

(14 Posts)
Bmama Sun 25-Feb-07 09:19:55

Hi!! I´ve just found out I am pregnant and suddenly I have to make all those difficult decisions. The main one is if to choose midwife care or consultant care ( we are going to go private) Where I am from we don´t really have midwifes (we do but they just assist the consultants). You always have a gynaecologist all the way through your pregnancy and he will deliver the baby. I´ve been told I am low risk but, what if that changes?. I am not sure of what I should do. Thanks in advance for your advice

DetentionGrrrl Sun 25-Feb-07 09:23:35

you can make a 'birth plan', which will be adapted if any complications arise.

I chose midwife led care for when i was having DS- it was fab. Much more personal that doctor's and consultants. I had DS in a birthing centre, after the midwife they sent for a homebirth was horrible (the only awful one i met) Birthing centre was brilliant in my area- clean, warm, friendly, private room and loo etc.

If you've only just found out, have a good read about what you get with each path of care, and make a choice then.

And congratulations!

Bmama Sun 25-Feb-07 09:33:38

Thanks a lot DetentionGrrrl!! Do you know anything about St. John and St. Elizabeth private birth unit?

DetentionGrrrl Sun 25-Feb-07 09:36:23

i don't i'm afraid, but if they're private, i'm sure they're even nicer than my NHS birthing unit!

I'm opting for birthing unit again this time- was so relaxed and lovely.

Creena Sun 25-Feb-07 09:46:37

Hi there Bmama and congratulations!

I've also chosen midwife led care for this pregnancy and will be delivering at a midwife led unit. I found this website really useful when making my choice. You might also find it useful to browse through, just to see what kind of care is available in your area and compare it to what is being offered at your private facility. Don't forget that you can also take a tour of hospital/birthing units in order to see what they're like before you go there to deliver!

Hope this helps.

Bmama Sun 25-Feb-07 10:06:46

Hi Creena, I am having a look at the website you recommended and I am going through the checklist. I am finding it really helpful. Thanks a lot!!!

littlelapin Sun 25-Feb-07 10:15:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bmama Sun 25-Feb-07 10:35:02

Thank you!! I am living now in London, so I am planning to have the baby here. Somehow I just feel the same way you did (about having "men in white coats around me...") because that is what happens in Spain (where I am from) all the time. We don´t have to make the choice there between midwife and consultant. But all your comments are helping me a lot.

lori21 Sun 25-Feb-07 10:37:06

Congratulations - you must be soooo excited. Anyway just wanted to say to try and go with the flow when it comes to making plans. I personally would go with the midwife care to start. Babies have a tendency to do what they want no matter how carefully you plan so it is sometimes easier just to enjoy it!

foxybrown Sun 25-Feb-07 10:42:34

Ahh, congratulations! I understand the 'men in white coats' thing, but it wouldn't be for me. Seems a bit clinical and hopefully unnecessary. Have you considered an independent midwife?

Bmama Sun 25-Feb-07 10:52:34

You are all right. I should stop worrying sooooo much and start enjoying the pregnancy...

foxybrown Sun 25-Feb-07 10:58:22

yes, before the sickness, insomnia, piles set in!!!
good luck, do enjoy it. The first is the best and most enjoyable. afternoon naps, treats and pampering. Am almost jealous! xx

littlelapin Sun 25-Feb-07 10:58:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bmama Sun 25-Feb-07 11:11:27

One thing is for sure. I am enjoying the afternoon "siestas" (when I can of course). It´s like being at home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now