Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Allowance question, can anyone help? X

(13 Posts)
LongLiveTheChief Tue 24-Jan-17 10:14:16

Hey!

I applied for MA 3 weeks ago, left it a bit late! I asked for it to start on 6th February which is my due date. I've had my supporting documents returned but I just wondered how long it takes to hear from them if they are able to pay out? I've been self employed and employed over the past year or so, filling the form out was hard work! Does anyone know their turn around time? I hate ringing unless I know I have the right to chase a decision so I'd rather know if they have a 4-6 weeks turnaround time for example.

Also, did they write to you to confirm the payments or just start paying?

Thanks xx

bramblina Tue 24-Jan-17 10:22:04

I don't remember but I also don't remember it taking long at all. I would ring. Always ring, I've never found HMRC to be unhelpful. Helplines are there for this sort of thing and you are not doing anything wrong but just asking.

cars254 Tue 24-Jan-17 10:23:41

When I did mine it was about 4 weeks before I finished work, I got paid out about 3 weeks later and it was all backdated if that helps.

LongLiveTheChief Tue 24-Jan-17 10:38:19

Thank you both. I might give them another week and then see what's happening. It's nice to know that it's not a long wait to hear back from them usually x

Andysgirl15 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:11:17

When I applied I was told you have to wait 27 days before you will hear from them. A random amount of days if you ask me lol

Cakescakescakes Tue 24-Jan-17 13:12:20

It came through reasonably quickly I think. Definitely within a month. Although I remember the money arriving in my account before I actually got the letter.

Pregnantmumma123 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:32:26

I sent my form off in December and they just got back to me so it took about 4 weeks...they basically confirmed what my payments would be and sent me another (!) form to fill out when I have finished working to confirm the start date. Hope that helps!

bellaboo88 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:06:04

Just had mine back too, took about 4-6 weeks I think! Even then because I'm self employed they've awarded me the lowest payment and said NIC will be in touch to pay this year's contributions before they reassess. Same for my other self employed pregnant friend

PeachBellini123 Tue 24-Jan-17 23:36:26

I applied mid December and mines just been backdated.

There is a back log but you can give them a ring and confirm whether they have your form.

glitterglitters Wed 25-Jan-17 19:12:03

Just out of curiosity what supporting paperwork will you need to provide? Just so I can file it for when I apply. X

PeachBellini123 Wed 25-Jan-17 19:31:11

Glitter. You need a MATB1 form from midwife. And a form from your employer stating they are not going to give you maternity pay. You also need orginal payslips.

OnTheUp13 Wed 25-Jan-17 19:32:05

Mine was super quick! I think it was 10 days?

glitterglitters Wed 25-Jan-17 20:34:34

Oh sorry! I should have said if you're self employed 🙈

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now