Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy/childbirth with herpes

(6 Posts)
DH20 Mon 23-Jan-17 04:10:34

Hi all,

I could really do with some advice because I'm not sure who to speak to.
I contracted herpes about 6 years ago and luckily don't really have many flare ups.
I'm 31 weeks pregnant an starting to think about labour and birth options.
I originally wanted an elected c section so the baby doesn't contract herpes during labour but when I spoke to a midwife at the hospital she said they don't do elected c sections. Then I got the NICE guidance that you can request an if an obstetrician isn't willing they should refer you!
Is it safer to have a c section for this reason? And how do I go about it?

Thank you in advance x

annlee3817 Mon 23-Jan-17 08:05:50

I didn't have a C section, I was referred to a consultant and he advised that they would check for any sores on arrival at the hospital when I went into labour and if all fine then I could continue with a vaginal birth. They said that if sores were present then I would have to have an emergency C section. I would request to be referred to a consultant to discuss your options rather than speaking with the midwife. I didn't have a flare up when I went into labour and was able to go ahead without a C section.

annlee3817 Mon 23-Jan-17 08:05:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Polkaducks Mon 23-Jan-17 13:03:56

I was referred to a consultant. The outcome of that was basically:
-The risks were lower for the baby having a vaginal birth, provided no flare ups
-I was still classed as low risk so could go to midwife led unit to give birth
-Any flare ups during third trimester to get straight to go for antivirals
-If I still wasn't happy, they would book me in for a section, no questions.

My experience:
Had a flare up, around 34 weeks I think, so was put on a course of antivirals. I was also put on a preventative course which I took up until labour. That also increased the risk a bit so had to give birth in the delivery suite so a paediatrician could check the baby over immediately post birth. I was also checked during labour by the unit's doctor. Ended up with a section anyway due to failure to progress.

Ask your midwife to refer you.

DH20 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:16:52

Thanks for your replies.

What risks were higher for the baby with a vaginal delivery?

Thank you

vainofmylife Mon 03-Apr-17 22:13:18

How did you get on OP? Have you had baby yet?

Just want to say I am in same boat - contracted HSV1 from oral sex about 7 years ago. Had very few flare ups apart from when pregnant with DD. It got really bad and I ended up on preventative antiviral meds until labour (from about 32 weeks).

My GP told me I would likely have to have a c section if I had active sores and I was beside myself - really upset and guilty. I then spoke to the consultant who told me if I had co reacted the virus before getting pregnant then actually there was very very little risk of passing the virus on as baby would already have some immunity from it.

I'm now pregnant with DC2 (31 weeks) and although no actual sores, have started to get the tell tale signs that an outbreak may be in its way. It'll be the first outbreak since I was last pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now