Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second baby after HG dilemma

(9 Posts)
norbert23 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:47:32

My DD is 20 months and although I'd like a second baby I'm not sure if I can cope with a toddler and HG, if I'm honest it's making me wonder if I should just have the one child. I scraped through my first pregnancy by taking anti emetics but they made me so drowsy all I did was sleep between throwing up every 45 minutes. My partner is supportive but I'd like to know is if there's anything I could take that wouldn't make me drowsy, or if I can see a private doctor as my GP wasn't helpful (e.g. "Have you tried a ginger biscuit?) I know that it's all worth it in the end etc but having found it so difficult before and knowing that it'll last for 7 months makes it a really serious decision. If anyone has any experience of this please share! I've looked on the PSS website but any real stories would be very much appreciated xx

fourcorneredcircle Sun 22-Jan-17 19:00:20

Hey, come join us on the Hyperemesis forum. Lots of women on #2 or even, gulp, #3.

fourcorneredcircle Sun 22-Jan-17 19:01:14

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2790309-Hyperemesis-Support

norbert23 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:57:36

Thanks xxx

dottydee3 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:01:52

I'm just wondering how old your LO is? Maybe planning a longer age gap would help, because if you have one in school already at least you get some rest in the day and they are more self sufficient and more able to understand and will be sleeping through the night. All the best with whatever you choose

Duckyneedsaclean Sun 22-Jan-17 20:09:25

I had HG in my first & second pregnancies. Just had twins (third pregnancy) and nearly no sickness at all this time. So.. You might be lucky!

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sun 22-Jan-17 20:19:21

Like Ducky my sickness was better second time around. I only had sickness and vomiting for 12 weeks (6 to 18 weeks). Being sickness free was amazing and so so unexpected. I think it also helped that I had medication ready (cyclizine) so the vomiting never got out of hand. Unlike in my first pregnancy when I was only given medication after my 2nd hospital admission angry

I believe NHS guidelines recommend medication depending on the severity of the HG and how you respond to the meds - you could approach our GP from that angle. The amazing ladies in the hyperemesis support thread will have up to date information no doubt.

Good luck OP!

Daffodil397 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:22:20

I'm 11 weeks in with baby number 2 after a horrendous first pregnancy with dd1, hg to some degree throughout.
Was also wary of a 2nd pregnancy, this one was a slip up :-)... and thank God so far it's not as bad. Nausea and fatigue still there but I haven't had to take too many sick days off work and can still most of the time look after dd1 with dh's help. So I guess all pregnancies aren't the same, I fully understand your wariness though and after this NO MORE!!
Definitely get a different dr, mine on the NHS have been great, first time round I was lucky enough to get a dr who had been through it herself! A lot of gps are uninformed though and dangerously dismissive. There is great info to arm yourself with re medication etc on the hyperemesis support thread. Ondansetron works for me. Xx

norbert23 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:12:05

Thank you everyone for your replies, I guess there's only one way of knowing how it will go but in the meantime I can cling to the hope that it might not be as bad...
Again thanks - each of your replies has made me feel much better xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now