Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

do the ultrasound techs make a note of sex?

(14 Posts)
thecatsarecrazy Sat 21-Jan-17 22:59:18

I'm almost at my due date and didn't want to know the sex.
I've had 4 scans so far and looked away at the last 3. However at my last as we were leaving the room my husband glanced over at the screen they were taking measurements on and saw something about female. Do they make a record of it even if they don't tell you?

PacificDogwod Sat 21-Jan-17 23:01:25

No.

NancyJoan Sat 21-Jan-17 23:01:54

No. Probably said femur, as in leg bone.

thecatsarecrazy Sat 21-Jan-17 23:05:23

Ok ty. I said to husband I know daft but would it be meaning me? I know obviously female having baby but didn't know if it was something they put in.

LastGirlOnTheLeft Sat 21-Jan-17 23:12:10

I have often found the radiographers, doctors or midwives, have shown ZERO interest in the sex of the babies!! Maybe people should learn something from that!

LastGirlOnTheLeft Sat 21-Jan-17 23:13:12

It is definitely NOTHING to do with you OP.

Cloeycat Sat 21-Jan-17 23:15:22

I think my ultrasound said my name and then female- I assumed it was referring to me and not baby

TheLongRains Sat 21-Jan-17 23:18:12

I had my scans overseas, but they all say "female" on them, and I've definitely got one son and one daughter! I did ask about it, and they said it is my sex, (they also pointed out it had my date of birth and name...!). Apparently they used the same equipment for all types of ultrasound, so sometimes used it on men, hence the info being on the scan.

But as I say, this was overseas and it may be different here - I've never had a UK ultrasound. I imagine it could be the same reason though.

raviolidreaming Sat 21-Jan-17 23:53:45

I have often found the radiographers, doctors or midwives, have shown ZERO interest in the sex of the babies!! Maybe people should learn something from that!

What, that people shouldn't want to know the sex of their own baby because health professionals who see pregnant women all day every day in a work capacity aren't interested? Righto. hmm

Babyiwantabump Sun 22-Jan-17 00:03:09

Yep the female that is being referred to is you- if you look at most ultrasound printouts it will have your hospital details across the top and f for female too - as the machines can be used for scanning other body parts and also require patient data to be entered prior to scanning

thecatsarecrazy Sun 22-Jan-17 07:34:02

Thank you for the kind replies.

Spam88 Sun 22-Jan-17 10:58:11

Yeah it was definitely referring to you. They don't even look to see the gender if you don't want to know.

kel12345 Sun 22-Jan-17 11:05:42

We never wanted to know the gender, I'd never ruin such a lovely surprise by finding out. But I did wonder if they knew or not.

Mooseville Sun 22-Jan-17 18:11:45

Ours said Female on the screen - it was about me not the baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now