Talk

Advanced search

renal dilation

(6 Posts)
lucy1978 Sat 24-Feb-07 12:10:15

hello everybody, i have just had my 20 week scan and they are concerned about the babys kidneys (something called renal dilation) have to go back at 34 weeks for another scan. just wondered has anyone else had this and what was the outcome?

ledodgyDave Sat 24-Feb-07 12:38:03

I had this when pregnant with my ds, it's fairly common especially with boys. They found it in my 20 week scan and both his kidneys showed a dilatation. I was scanned again at 30 weeks and the dilatation had gone. They then scanned ds when he was 6 weeks old to check again and he was fine.

If the dilatation doesn't go away generally they will put your child on low dose antibiotics until he or she is around 3 or 4 to prevent urine infections and they've usually grown out of it by then. In some cases they will operate but it is a small routine operation which makes the tubes slightly bigger to prevent urine reflux.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 24-Feb-07 12:46:49

I had the exact same experience as Dave with ds2. All was clear at six weeks and he was fine.
Hope it's the same for you Lucy.

lucy1978 Sat 24-Feb-07 13:55:32

Thanks guys, i know its nothing serious but you dont like to think of anything being wrong with ur baby and its at the back of my mind worrying me.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 24-Feb-07 15:59:53

Oh of course Lucy. It's bound to be on your mind. I'd gone for the scan for ds2 on my own and I remember bursting into tears afterwards. Then the operator hadn't written up my notes properly so when I asked the midwife about it again at my next appointment she hadn't a clue and it all added to the stress. Try not to let it spoil the enjoyment of it all though.

titchy77 Sat 24-Feb-07 17:29:17

My dd had this and was scanned at 36wks and found to still have excess fluid, they said baby would need scan when born and antibiotics but gave birth 3 weeks ago and all is o.k, they didn't scan her as they said fluid was only just over the normal and that as she is weeing o.k they are going to leave it and she is doing fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now