Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is it safe to take Gavilast tablets for heartburn?

(5 Posts)
Mistiek Sat 24-Feb-07 11:05:14

Hello all, I hope someone can help here. I only have 4 weeks left and up unitl now have been using heartburn liquid to releive my heartburn.

But it is now getting to the point where that is not working and I am to scared to eat or drink much as I get the worst heartburn ever. I cant even lie down without wanting to throw up. I sleep propped up, drink loads of milk, try to avoid anything that could bring it on and try and eat little meals. Nothing works!!!

My husband uses Gavilast tablets which are supposed to last 12 hours. Its the only thing that helps his heartburn - Can you use these during pregnancy?

CanSleepWontStarve Sat 24-Feb-07 11:08:01

No - I took them to my doc and he checked the ingredients and said they aren't suitable.

Olihan Sat 24-Feb-07 11:09:07

Are they the ones that contain Ranitidine? Ranitidine is safe in pg and reduces the amount of stomach acid you produce. You could go to the gp and get it prescribed for you, then you don't have to pay!! You have my sympathies, I suffered with awful hb with my first pg.

lulumama Sat 24-Feb-07 11:12:50

what olihan said ! or gaviscon liquid which you can get free on prescription

Mistiek Sat 24-Feb-07 12:05:07

Thanks for the advice...

I have found some info on this link below

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004296.html

Here it suggests that it is safe during pregnancy BUT should only be used if found to be essential by your doctor . When I looked up Gaviscon it did say that this was much safer to use.....

So I guesse I wont be taking the risk and will just have to keep trying the liquid and drinking milk and just grinning and bearing it. I woke up with it this morning and took some liquid which has kept it at bay for a whole hour! Had breakfast and a cup of tea and now its comming back with a vengence... sob, grrrrrr. I could cope with it at night time but now to have it all day everyday its driving me mad and I have 4 weeks left - its like 4 weeks of hell.

Ok rant over....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: