Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Smoked Salmon. Can you eat it?

(13 Posts)
cupcake78 Sat 24-Feb-07 08:26:24

Can you eat smoked salmon. Have been getting cravings the last few days but unsure if it is safe

WideWebWitch Sat 24-Feb-07 08:26:51

Of course you can!

cupcake78 Sat 24-Feb-07 08:31:46

Hurray!!

honeyapple Sat 24-Feb-07 09:28:24

I didnt eat it when PG- not sure why!! Must have read something somewhere- I think you should check it out further.

zephyrcat Sat 24-Feb-07 09:29:20

I lived on it with dd2!! I think thjere are cautions but they couldn't have been that bad!

CanSleepWontStarve Sat 24-Feb-07 09:34:02

Official advice is no, as it isn't cooked.

Advice from many midwives is actually not to eat farmed salmon at all, due to level of PCBs.

WideWebWitch Sat 24-Feb-07 09:35:47

Well, it's bloody mad if the advice is not to eat it, I most certainly did and I can't see why you wouldn't. But the list is gettnig more and more over cautious by the year it seems.

honeyapple Sat 24-Feb-07 09:39:47

The list of foods that should be avoided during pregnancy are:

• Liver - it may have too much vitamin A
• Smoked salmon
• Fish liver oil supplements such as cod liver oil
• Raw eggs - ensure the yolk and white are solid when having a boiled or fried egg and eat only manufactured mayonnaise
• Undercooked meat (even cooked until pink is not cooked enough)
• Unpasteurised milk and milk products such as cheese and yogurt (both cows and goats milk products)
• Soft cheese such as camembert or brie and blue veined cheese
• Unwashed fruit and vegetables (take care when eating out and especially on holidays abroad and only choose cooked fruit and vegetables)
• Peanuts - avoid during pregnancy and lactation as it may help to avoid allergy
• Alcohol - the balance of evidence suggests that drinking alcohol should be avoided

WideWebWitch Sat 24-Feb-07 09:41:21

What is the risk with smoked salmon?

honeyapple Sat 24-Feb-07 09:41:53

I think mainly cos it is raw.

Aloha Sat 24-Feb-07 09:46:42

The UK food standards advice is that smoked salmon is fine. The chance of listeria contaminiation is so tiny that it isn't considered a risk.
As for unpasteurised cheese, any hard cheese is safe, pasteurised or not, as listeria bacteria need moisture to survive, and hard cheese doesn't have enough.
I didn't worry at all about eggs. Just choose ones that are lion marked, as the hens have been vaccinated against salmonella, and those eggs are not contaminated with salmonella.

WideWebWitch Sat 24-Feb-07 10:02:00

yes it's ok to eat, according to food standards advice here

Mistiek Sat 24-Feb-07 10:58:49

ooooh Yummy....
I have avoided smoked salmon this whole pg as I thought it was a no no as it is not cooked.

But man could I kill a smoked salmon sandiwch withblack pepper and lemon right now! Hmmmm I may need to go to the shops now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now