Talk

Advanced search

Why do I have no 'symptoms' of pregnancy?

(22 Posts)
MillyM Fri 23-Feb-07 21:21:18

Hi there, I'm only 5 + 4 (ish) weeks pg and have just been to visit the doctor after a bit of a scare with some mild bleeding. He asked me if I had any of the other usual symptoms of pregnancy e.g. sore boobs, nausea etc and I had to say no. I've been overwhelmingly tired but that is it apart from a very dull ache in my tummy (which I had with Dd also). I had a bit of heartburn very early on but that has gone too now. Of course I'm sat here panicking about it all now - does the fact I have no symptoms mean there's a problem with the baby? Please reassure me with tales of symptomless pregnancies.

Beauregard Fri 23-Feb-07 21:23:27

when i was pregnant with dd1 ,i had no symptoms other than bleeding on/off.

MillyM Fri 23-Feb-07 21:25:32

Presume all was ok with your Dd pfnm? It seems really odd as I'm sure I had loads of syptoms the first time round, but then again the memory is a funny thing!

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Feb-07 21:30:31

MillyM - was wondering how things were going with you - was just going to trawl through my posted threads to 'find' you [smile}
I didn't have any symptoms to speak fo in the early weeks with either of my pgs... Please try not to worry

<<fp wanders off to stalk someone else!>>

Beauregard Fri 23-Feb-07 21:31:17

Yes sorry ,all was well with dd1,she is now a big girl of 5 .
I had very obvious pregnancy symptoms with dd2 so i guess that it is different with each pregnancy.
Im sure everything is fine with you.

Crocky Fri 23-Feb-07 21:31:45

The only symptom i had with ds was overwhelming tiredness and all was fine with him.

MillyM Fri 23-Feb-07 21:33:06

Oh no funnypeculiar, it feels more like you're looking out for me than stalking me thank you! I've told so few people in rl, it's nice to have people who know what's going on here. I'm waiting for the midwife to get intouch with me. Saw Dr Thursday and he muttered something about high risk criteria as I had a csection with dd. All in all the poor bloke scared the living daylights out of me!

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Feb-07 21:58:54

When I was having all my bleeds with ds, I had a mw appt and got a bit tearful b/c all the docs I'd seen had been so pessimistic (eg one consultant told me she wasn't sure why my gp had sent me in because I was almost certainly going to miscarry, and there was nothing she could do for me anyway).

The m/w said that hospital docs tend to see 'bad news' patients, so they are predisposed to think the worst ... whereas m/v & gps see people who bleed (etc) everyday ... with their babies! She also said docs don't like pg bleeds b/c they usually don't know what causes them, and there's nothing that p*sses a doctor off more than not being all-knowing!

Keep us informed ... and sleep well

pastalady Fri 23-Feb-07 23:17:50

When I was pregnant with DS, I had virtually no symptoms except for tiredness and then a heightened sense of smell later on. It's normal for some people. I also had early bleeding. I was desperate to be pregnant at the time and found early pregnancy rather worring too. Very afraid of it going wrong. Lots of knicker-checking!I've still worry about it this time around , but you kind of get used to living with the mild anxiety. All you can do really is eat well and try to just be hopeful rather than anxious.

But yes, my symptom-free pregnancy resulted in the birth of a heathy, gorgeous little boy who is 22 months now. AND there is still pleanty of time for sickness!

Taichimum Sun 25-Feb-07 21:48:11

No symptoms at all with my ds and now pg again 8 weeks heartbeat present so babe should be fine, but not a symptom in sight.
Hopefully you are just lucky.

MerlinsBeard Sun 25-Feb-07 21:52:35

I had no symtoms with ds1 until around 8 weeks

MillyM Mon 26-Feb-07 20:29:16

Thank you ladies, it's really reassuring to read your posts. At the risk of bugging people for information, does anyone know when my midwife should get in touch with me. Went to see the doctor last thursday and he said the midwife would be in touch (I know it hasn't been long yet, was just wondering what the timescale was). I'm just over 6 weeks now, presuming everything is ok, but I was hoping to 'push' for an early scan because of the bleeding. x

funnypeculiar Mon 26-Feb-07 20:39:03

hello Millym
<<waves>>
Can't remember - but think it was about 8/10 weeks ... bumping for you as someone else'll know - or if you don't get a reply, start a different thread with that qu as the title - there'll be loads of pg ladies who'll know!

How are you doing??

MillyM Mon 26-Feb-07 20:41:56

<Milly waves back with big smile on her face >

I'm ok, trying to stay positive without getting my hopes up if that makes sense! I've been having headaches daily and awful backache / dull period ache today - do they count as pregnancy symptoms, or just worrying symptoms?

lizziemun Mon 26-Feb-07 21:33:37

I didn't have any early pg symptons with any of my pg's.

1st dd didn't find out i was pg untill 10week and then my mum told me to do a test as i mentioned that tea tasted nasty. I was shocked when it was positive although we were ttc i hadn't had af for 6 months.

2nd time found out at 8 weeks ended in m/c a week later

3rd time dh said to me why is there 50 written on the calender i replied that was the last time i had af he told me to do a test again i was shocked that it was positive. Again i was about 9weeks pg.

funnypeculiar Mon 26-Feb-07 22:05:58

Makes absolute sense & sounds very sensible (I wouldn't manage that
Not sure about headaches, sorry. Would have thought that backache & general aches could be pg symptoms...although more common later on I would have thought...(no expert though)

Hillbilly Tue 27-Feb-07 09:45:24

I also had no symptoms with mt dd who is now a happy 20 months.
Currently 7 wks pg and nothing again except for tireness.

nh101 Tue 27-Feb-07 16:21:46

Usually see the midwife at 11 weeks the week before your 12-week scan. You will probably get a letter from them 10 days to two weeks before that to tell you when your MW appt and scan date is. I am 10+0 and still no symptoms really. Got constipation at about 7 weeks and feeling tired and a bit quesy just these last two weeks. Enjoy it while you can. Good luck!

melrose Tue 27-Feb-07 16:25:15

Apart from feeling tired I had no sickeness, sore boobs, odd tastes when pg with DS, was actually wishing I felt sick so that I could feel genuinely pg!! Having just gone through first trimester of PG no.2 feeling like shit all teh time, I take that back thougha nd would say enjoy it if you can!!

I did not worry too much as was first PG, but can understand why you are concerned

Mrsjaffabiffa Tue 27-Feb-07 16:49:50

I didn't have any symptoms at all with ds or dd. Nothing, ziltch...... if it wasn't for the +test and lack of AF, I wouldn't have had a clue I was pregnant. This one is a different pg'cy all together though felt rubbish from conception. Just goes to show they always say they can all be soooo different?

Be positive.

MillyM Tue 27-Feb-07 20:29:47

Thank you so much everyone, it really helps to hear positive stories.
My boobs are feeling quite sore today and I find myself strangely pleased about this! Still got a weird backache (feels almost like a flu-y type ache tht you get around your kidneys).
Mantra time:
I will remain positive
I will remain positive
I will remain positive
<repeat for 9 months>

MrsMar Tue 27-Feb-07 21:23:14

Hello Milly, I got the date for my first scan about 10 days ago (I'm 10+4) and I still haven't got a booking in appointment with my midwife! I'm not sure about lack of symptoms, I'm sure everything's fine, everyone is so different. I've had really bad nausea but neither my mum or sister had anything remotely like that so there's no telling. Of course that makes them really unsympathetic when I'm moaning about being ill! I've had aches and pains in my abdomen since almost day one, I've been reassured by numerous people it's all to do with lots of stretching and growing down there... I'm still getting the odd twinge. Are you a first timer, because apparently those wierd pains are more exaggerated if you are (and I am!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now