Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing

(7 Posts)
SunnyDayDreaming101 Thu 19-Jan-17 00:18:51

Hi all,

I recently started daisy foundation classes and I am loving them! It's made me start to consider hypnobirthing but the courses are REALLY expensive.

I'm willing to go for it and spend the money but only if it's worth it. I am a bit of a sceptic and think when the pain kicks in everything else will go out the window but have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed daisy.

Anyone practicing or have practiced hypnobirthing and found it any good? Wasn't sure if I should post here or in childbirth confused

Thanks everyone.

moonoverthewater Thu 19-Jan-17 07:29:54

Ooh I'm booked on the 6 week daisy foundation course starting next week, glad to hear it is good!
I've bought a Hypnobirthing book - mindful Hypnobirthing by Sophie Fletcher and downloaded a CD by her.

VeryPunny Thu 19-Jan-17 07:45:55

I did two hypnobrithing courses for two babies. DH and I practiced religiously. In both my labours I was begging for an epidural. To be fair Dc1 was breech and I was attempting a vaginal breech birth which are notorious for going very quickly or not at all. The first course only left me with a massive sense of failure for doing it "wrong" as I wound up with an EMCS. We weren't invited to the course meet up afterwards either.

The second course was a bit less hardcore (similar methods though). DS was a VBAC and again the exercies did absolutely nothing to help me deal with the pain. Both my labours were wonderful once the epidural kicked in and I am cross with the way both hypnobirthing courses contributed to me feeling like pain relief was somehow failing.

The courses did nothing to prepare you for the times when you aren't coping (you mustn't think about negative situations) so I was left high and dry, especially with DC when I had complications. They also say they don't promise you a pain free birth but the schtik is very much that hypnobirhting will work and you will be in control and having a manageable time- alternatives are never considered.

I wish I had saved my money (and my sanity, tbh). That said, lots of people rave about it. Th fact that it appears to work for so many and it did naff all for me yet again makes me feel like somehow I did it wrong. As you can see, I haven't quite made my peace with it.

moonoverthewater Thu 19-Jan-17 08:23:24

Very, you definitely didn't do it wrong! I'm of the mind I would like to use some of the techniques (though not paying for a class) but if it doesn't go according to plan then that's just how it is! And how rude for them not to invite you to the meet up.

annlee3817 Thu 19-Jan-17 08:36:12

I didn't pay for a class, I used the maggie howell cd and book, I found the techniques really helpful during labour and managed without pain relief, but I had a text book birth, with no issues with positioning and it was just over five hours in total. I don't have anything else to compare it too, but it kept me calmer than I expected to be, I was open to pain relief.

annlee3817 Thu 19-Jan-17 08:36:12

I didn't pay for a class, I used the maggie howell cd and book, I found the techniques really helpful during labour and managed without pain relief, but I had a text book birth, with no issues with positioning and it was just over five hours in total. I don't have anything else to compare it too, but it kept me calmer than I expected to be, I was open to pain relief.

drinkyourmilk Thu 19-Jan-17 08:42:46

My hospital runs hypnobirthing classes, so we've signed up to those. £100 for 4 evenings. It's run by the hospital midwives. When signed up I was told that many women find the techniques helpful to stay calm, but that it doesn't take the pain away. Very I don't think you've done anything wrong at all! It sounds like you've had 2 difficult births, and done what was needed to get through them successfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now