Talk

Advanced search

are multi-vitamins ok in pregnancy?

(17 Posts)
5aday Fri 23-Feb-07 20:54:18

I usually take a one-a-day multivitamin, have just found out I'm pregnant. Should I stop taking the vitamins or are they ok? Do I really need to change to pregnancy vitamins?

Ta

lulumama Fri 23-Feb-07 20:54:57

take a pregnancy vitamin ,with folic acid in it instead, like pregnacare x

Gingerbear Fri 23-Feb-07 20:55:39

multivit has too much vit A in for PG.

isaidno Fri 23-Feb-07 20:56:02

multivits usually contain vit A, too much of which should be avoided.

bristols Fri 23-Feb-07 20:56:32

I don't think they're recommended in pregnancy. Maybe something to do with the vitamin A content. I took the pregnancy ones which have the right amount of Folic Acid in them while I was pregnant. You can always go back to the multi vits afterwards. HTH. Also... Congratulations!!

bristols Fri 23-Feb-07 20:57:27

Oops, x with lulu, ginger and isaidno!

tulip27 Fri 23-Feb-07 21:00:03

Too much vitamin A must be avoided as is toxic to the baby, ( just asked my husband who is docter) random quote that he just said also is that polar bears are the only species to be able to take vit a in pregnancy how weired is that?

5aday Fri 23-Feb-07 21:00:51

thanks ladies. I am taking Folic acid. I did wonder about the vit A in multi-vitamin. I did stop taking it when I got BFP but just thought I would check with the wise women of mumsnet that I wasn't being over-protective

Thanks again

5aday Fri 23-Feb-07 21:01:32

very random fact Tulip - I'm going to quote that so often now

Gingerbear Fri 23-Feb-07 21:01:44

tulip, tell your DH he would be Quite Useful in a pub quiz!

gothicmama Fri 23-Feb-07 21:02:41

yes stop taking them if they contain vitamin A buy ones that are especially formulated for pregnant women

asur Fri 23-Feb-07 21:16:13

I used Sanatogen Pro-natal during my preg just to be safe. Sorry to steal thread but can I just ask, are pregnancy vitamins essential? AND why are they SO expensive?!

lulumama Fri 23-Feb-07 21:18:17

i would say that if you eat a balanced diet, then no, same when you are not pregnant, but folic acid definitely and taking a natural supplement to keep iron levels up, like spatone or floridex is probably a good idea

but if you are going to take something when pregnant, needs to be designed for pregnancy

as for the expense...captive market?

asur Fri 23-Feb-07 21:24:11

Lulumama, you are a very wise woman I always read things you say and nod and wonder why I didn't think of that...

lulumama Fri 23-Feb-07 21:28:34

thanks asur.. i try to offer sensible advice, good to know i am making sense x

JanH Fri 23-Feb-07 21:35:29

I believe polar bear liver is toxic because there is so much Vit A in it, so don't eat any, ladies, OK?

Is standard multi-vit really too much A for pg? I got through all my pgs without being bunged up by nasty iron tablets just with OTC multi-vit+iron, taken with oj. And I used to eat liver once a week because you did then.

Fingerscrossed2007 Fri 23-Feb-07 23:32:34

lots of NHS profs recomend Boots and tesco as a good place to buy cheap multi-vits specifically for preg women. pretyy much half the price of pregncacare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now