Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Any other larger ladies used their own Doppler?

(12 Posts)
SpunBodgeSquarepants Tue 17-Jan-17 21:42:25

I know my post will attract people telling me that having your own Doppler is a bad idea, but I bought one during my first pregnancy and I first found baby's heartbeat at 9 weeks! For me, it really helped my anxiety and I only used it for a few weeks before baby's movements became regular.

My question is this - I'm three stone heavier during this pregnancy than my last so I am fully anticipating that I'll have to wait longer before the Doppler will be able to pick anything up. I weigh 18 stone and am 5'4, which gives me a bmi of 44. Are there any other larger ladies who have used their own Doppler, and when did you first find baby's heartbeat? Thank you.

raviolidreaming Tue 17-Jan-17 23:34:27

I first found baby's heartbeat at 9 weeks

Definitely the heartbeat and not the placenta? That's very early - a lot of midwives won't try before 16 weeks!

catx1606 Wed 18-Jan-17 06:27:59

Are you sure it was the baby's heartbeat. A trained midwife wouldn't attempt to listen to it before 16 weeks and it could be the placenta that your were listening to. It does say in the antenatal notes not to use a home dopler, that they actually advice against pregnant women using one at all.

MoonshineJungle Wed 18-Jan-17 06:31:14

I had my first scan at 9 weeks and they showed me the heartbeat and turned up the sound so I could hear, excuse my ignorance but how is that different? Genuine question! I'm curious lol

raviolidreaming Wed 18-Jan-17 07:04:26

I suppose with a scan it's easier to locate? I'd heard it can take up to an hour to find the heartbeat that early with a handheld doppler - although, to be fair, the OP might have taken a while at it!

Justcurious000 Wed 18-Jan-17 07:15:18

It probably was the placenta at 9 weeks but you don't get one with out the other, so that's reassurance in itself.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Wed 18-Jan-17 08:34:34

Yes you're right, probably the placenta but still reassuring! and yes, it did take a fair while to find.

GinIsIn Wed 18-Jan-17 09:47:33

You really won't have found the heartbeat at 9 weeks - at that stage it isn't detectable by Doppler. Most likely it would be the placenta or more likely your own heartbeat.

moonshine it's completely different equipment. It's like listening to music from a singing birthday card vs a really high tech sound system.

kathrynelizabeth3005 Wed 18-Jan-17 10:36:40

I got given one second hand by a friend who'd just given birth and I've only used it a few times as I didn't want to become reliant on it when I know it's actually quite unreliable!

At my booking appointment my BMI was 39 and I managed to find the heartbeat for the first time at 14 weeks. I didn't use it at all until after I'd had my 12 week scan and I had enough anxiety without throwing in the fact I may or may not be able to use the Doppler properly.

My midwife said not to put too much faith in it and the 2 times I've had reduced foetal movement (I'm 27+3 now) I've just called the hospital straight away rather than using the Doppler.

MabelTheCow Wed 18-Jan-17 14:34:18

I have a high BMI too but have regularly found the hb from 17 weeks. I would always put more faith in the mw if I was worried but it's lovely to be able to listen to the hb with DP.

user1483387154 Wed 18-Jan-17 17:24:01

size 18 here. I could find the baby's heart beat at 14 weeks. I have angelsounds

SpunBodgeSquarepants Wed 18-Jan-17 17:29:10

Thank you ladies. Think I will leave it till after my 12 weeks scan to get my old Doppler out this time round.

The heartbeat I found at 9 weeks in my first pregnancy must have been something to do with the foetus - either foetal heartbeat or placenta as it was 152bpm, I remember that still now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: