Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ondansetron

(6 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Tue 17-Jan-17 21:16:46

Hi,
can I ask if anyone has been prescribed this? Cyclizine isn't working atm, so GP has given me this however it says not to take while pregnant. I'd like to stop vomiting, but concerned about the effects on baby. I did question it at the pharmacy, and they said it wouldn't be prescribed if it was dangerous. Just looking for anecdotal reassurance!

fourcorneredcircle Wed 18-Jan-17 09:39:08

Head on to the Hyperemesis support thread. Loads of ladies on ondanestron there smile
FWIW cyclizine leaflet also says not for pregnancy. Most medications do purely because it's difficult to test effects in pregnancy. Generally it's accepted that the benefits (mother being able to eat/drink so avoiding malnutrition, dehydration, potential miscarriage and death!) outweigh the risks (there is always a small chance that anyone could react badly to medication) though.

drinkyourmilk Wed 18-Jan-17 21:55:11

Thanks fourcorneredcircle, feel better to know others are taking it. Must not have read the cyclizine leaflet. I do lerk on the hyperemisis thread, I'll pop on and say hi,

Bugsylugs Wed 18-Jan-17 22:00:04

Used in pregnancy by obstetrics however locally is a red drug which means it cannot be prescribed BP GP.

ExcitedMamaToBe Wed 18-Jan-17 22:02:21

I had cyclizine and it didn't work, was then given phenergan which really helped. I was referred to the hospital by midwife when sickness had left and then came back really bad and they gave me ondanestron but it didn't help me so went back to phenergan.

Corabell Wed 18-Jan-17 22:07:15

Just what other posters have said really - no drugs can be trialled on pregnant women but heaps of hyperemesis veterans have taken ondansatron. It's far, far better than cyclizine and should help you eat and drink enough to avoid hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now