Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flu symptoms

(7 Posts)
sophia87 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:11:37

First of all. Hi I'm new here and 12weeks + 3. Woke up yesterday morning with runny nose by time I went to bed felt rubbish, today I ache all over and shivering and have only a slight temperature. Phoned gp as feels a bit like flu he said I don't sound ill enough and to keep topped up on paracetomal. Had a bath big mistake cause I felt so cold I kept topping up with warm water and by time I got out my skin was pulsating I felt light headed and was sick. Now I've had paracetomal the shivers have worn off and temp back down. I'm so worried my baby is going to die. See a strong heartbeat at 12 weeks. Anyone else been really ill in pregnancy and been fine xxx

arbrighton Tue 17-Jan-17 19:26:16

As I understand it, the risk from flu is more to us as pregnant women as our immune systems are lower and we're more prone to complications such as pneumonia. There are some risks to baby according to NHS site but it really is about the complications for us.

All you can do for now is keep on with fluids and paracetamol and ring GP/ out of hours/ 101 if anything gets worse

And get your flu jab when you're better if you haven't already had it!

sophia87 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:33:04

Thank you. Paracetomal does seem to ease my symptoms. She said to call and book my flu jab next week once recovered and to keep an eye on my temp. I was just worried for baby but if it's just me that can develop complications then I can monitor it and battle Thro xxx

arbrighton Tue 17-Jan-17 20:18:01

There are risks to the baby (lower birthweight, prem birth) BUT less so than the complications to you

sophia87 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:19:31

So guessing complications are more serious in last trimester xxx

arbrighton Wed 18-Jan-17 09:11:37

Yes, but complications to you more likely in 2nd or 3rd sad

sophia87 Wed 18-Jan-17 10:11:14

Thank you. Feeling a lot better today so starting to stop worrying now xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now