Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heparin or Lovenox?

(11 Posts)
user1470147116 Tue 17-Jan-17 16:01:42

I had 2 early miscarriages (5 weeks).

Had blood tests done and found that anticardiolipin antibodies are abnormally high. (Should be 1-10 MPL U/ml)

My results tested months apart were:

March = 21.8 MPL U/ml

July = 20.4 MPL U/ml

October = 29.5 MPL U/ml

Doctor said I could have Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)

So doctor advised to take daily aspirin 75 mg and heparin injection once a day (5000 units in 0.2ml).

Just had 3rd early miscarriage.

Questions:

How long does heparin stay in body for?

I read online its 12 hours, so should I have been having a heparin injection twice a day?

Or would a blood thinner like lovenox be better?

Does that stay in system longer?

Why would the doctor give me heparin instead of lovenox?

Does anyone else have this blood clotting disorder, what was your experience? What thinners and amounts did you use?

Would welcome any advice!

arbrighton Tue 17-Jan-17 16:43:50

You do realise that heparin is also a 'blood thinner' right?

Step away from google and let the Dr do their job although for something like that, I'd be very concerned if they've just said 'it could be'....

arbrighton Tue 17-Jan-17 16:45:23

And Lovenox is a trademark name and looks like it's still only available as that, so will be a LOT more expensive....

endofthelinefinally Tue 17-Jan-17 16:50:58

It is the same thing.
Lovenox is an American branded heparin.

Is it your obstetrician or haematologist looking after you? Usually you would be managed in a combined clinic.

endofthelinefinally Tue 17-Jan-17 16:54:58

aps-support.org.uk/

This is good resource.
So sorry for your losses. sad
It must be a difficult and anxious time for you. flowers

user1470147116 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:37:21

arbrighton yes I understand heparin and lovenox are both thinners.

I'm trying to figure out if I should have been on 2 daily injections of heparin as opposed to 1 daily injection (because heparin only lasts 8-12 hours in body).

I will be seeing another doctor in a few weeks but just want to get some information now.

arbrighton Tue 17-Jan-17 17:41:15

You need to speak to the DR.

MN cannot answer that

user1470147116 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:46:45

thanks arbrighton

I will be seeing another doctor in a few weeks but just want to get some information now from anyone else who has similar experience...

EatSleepWorkRepeat Tue 17-Jan-17 17:51:17

Sorry for your losses. I was in similar situation, on heparin and 75mg aspirin starting from early scan and still had a MC, next pregnancy heparin plus 150mg aspirin from the day of bfp, resulting in my ds. Heparin only once daily in both cases.

user1470147116 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:59:02

Thanks EatSleepWorkRepeat and sorry for your loss.

Did you take the 150mg aspirin in one go or 75mg twice at different time of day?

YouMeddlingKids Sat 21-Jan-17 11:09:06

I took the 150mg all at together in the mornings, and did the heparin shot in the evening. Dr said heparin best in evening for some reason but didn't seem to care when I took the aspirin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now