Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant working in LAC social work

(4 Posts)
unimamma91 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:19:33

Hi,
We are currently TTC and I am in my last year of my Masters social work degree. This would mean that I would be pregnant whilst on placement which starts in many and will be within a looked after children's statutory social work team. If I was to conceive this month I would be due within weeks of finishing placement end of September October.
I am just wondering if anyone works within this sector and would know if being pregnant would impact upon me working within that team? I know a risk assessment would have to be carried out but unsure of the outcome. I would hate to have to be dismissed from placement.

Thanks in advance for any advice 😊

hatgirl Mon 16-Jan-17 22:09:49

If i'm being completely honest I think you should get your final placement out of the way first.

Its just not worth putting yourself under that amount of pressure and being heavily pregnant all at the same time. If you take any time off sick or need additional study time during your placement you have to add the days on to the end of the placement. Thats going to be difficult for you to do if your due date is approaching.

I would say that about any stat final placement not just a LAC one. I urge you to reconsider, or leave it a few more months at least just to give yourself some breathing space on placement.

TwinkleStars15 Mon 16-Jan-17 22:20:42

I'm a social work manager in a child protection team and am currently 16 weeks pregnant. I've seen many social workers pregnant and some have found it extremely difficult. It is a very stressful job and you will be very busy all of the time. If you can I would advise you to wait, but if you don't want to, just prepare yourself for a tough 6 months, and hope that you don't get ill! Good luck with the pregnancy and the placement smile

unimamma91 Mon 16-Jan-17 22:34:41

Thank you so much for you advice. I have already ovulate this month and by the terrible cramps I'm having I don't think I am pregnant this month. So atleast if it happends next month I will have atleast 6 weeks to play with. I am trying now as I will be out of work for atleast 2 months before I can register with HCPC and I only want 4 months off (the same I had with my first born) so this way I will have hopefully enough time to look for work, Christmas off and hopefully start the new year with a new job towards Feb time. I know i will have to do my first year asye and wouldn't like to take time off during this time. I understand it will be a lot of pressure and I take on board your comments and agree it will be better to wait atleast another month or 2.
Atleast now I know it wouldn't affect my placement in terms of me actually being allowed on placement and affect my duties on placement as long as all is well with my pregnancy
Thanks again 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now