Talk

Advanced search

When did you stop travelling about?

(22 Posts)
KatnissMellark Mon 16-Jan-17 14:28:54

Dh has asked if I want to accompany him on a work trip at 36.5 weeks, to a destination 3.5-4 hours away by car. Am I being OTT to think this is too far/too late on?

For context, I've had a high risk pregnancy due to a number of factors, am consultant led and will need IV antibiotics during labour. I feel comfortable and safe at my hospital and though I know I may have to go elsewhere if they are overcrowded, would like to absolutely maximise the chances of giving birth close to home, where I've received all my treatment and support so far etc etc

twilightcafe Mon 16-Jan-17 14:34:45

I went to a family funeral when I was 36 or 37 weeks pregnant. I put my notes and hospital bag in the boot of the car just in case.

drinkyourmilk Mon 16-Jan-17 14:34:58

How long would it be for? I think it's an individual thing. I would go with- but aside from being old I'm not having a high risk pregnancy. If you aren't comfortable with it then I don't think it's unreasonable to say thanks but no.
Is your husband making a big deal out of it?

KatnissMellark Mon 16-Jan-17 14:40:52

No, he's not making a big deal out of it at all, I'm just second guessing myself as have found the uncertainty surrounding this pregnancy hard to cope with and wondered if I was being OTT to want to stay closer to home from 36 weeks ish. Of course if I went with him I could research nearest hospital and take my notes etc, just if anything happened/labour started I'd really rather be at home, near my hospital and midwife/consultant team that knows me. Maybe I'll chat with my Dr at next appointment to see what they think...just wondered what the general consensus is.

SquedgieBeckenheim Mon 16-Jan-17 14:40:56

I absolutely would not be able to sit in a car that long, but I have SPD....
It's a personal thing, and partly depends on how much you want to go and level of risk you're happy with. You may well make it to due date or beyond then feel you missed out. Or you may not.

KatnissMellark Mon 16-Jan-17 14:41:21

Oh and it would be for 3-4 days

BertrandRussell Mon 16-Jan-17 14:43:02

Is it something you would like to do?

KatnissMellark Mon 16-Jan-17 14:45:58

I'm not really bothered to be honest, it's not a 'naice' location, and I've been there multiple times before. I think he'd just like me to go as I've had to finish work very early (currently 31 weeks) and he's worried about me getting lonely/bored/depressed!

Elllicam Mon 16-Jan-17 14:47:46

I went away last week (36 weeks) but I was fairly nervous about it. I planned which hospital I would go to and took my bag and notes and worked out a route. I'm also consultant led, gbs, planned section. The main thing is what you feel comfortable with though.

Foldedtshirt Mon 16-Jan-17 14:48:52

It would depend on where to where. That distance could take me to another big city- no worries or a remote island- no way.
And I would have enjoyed the drive abs a different bed, hotel food etc!

BertrandRussell Mon 16-Jan-17 14:49:41

Then I wouldn't go then. You don't know how you'll feel. Maybe make a few local plans so he won't fret about you?

KatnissMellark Mon 16-Jan-17 14:51:36

I'd really just be going to keep him from worrying about me I think. I'm fine for him to go anyway, if anything did start moving he'd almost definitely be back in time (first baby) amd if not, I'm sure I'd have other things on my mind. I'll tell him to book it and I'll decide nearer the time once I see how I'm feeling and what the consultant says.

KatnissMellark Mon 16-Jan-17 14:53:06

Yes, I'm starting to come up with a list Bertrand, yoga, aqua natal, visiting friends, finishing some knitting projects, just need to think up a few more!

TriJo Tue 17-Jan-17 09:52:25

I went to Ireland at 35 weeks... but I was low risk/midwife led, went to 41 weeks anyway and it was because my mother had had a stroke.

I probably wouldn't with a high risk pregnancy.

Gardencentregroupie Tue 17-Jan-17 09:56:33

I'm 33 weeks and finding sitting in a car for one hour as I drive to work is getting pretty uncomfortable. In all likelihood nothing terrible would happen if you went, but if you don't need or especially want to go I wouldn't bother. Different if it's necessary travelling eg funerals, ill family members as above.

If I was you I would stay at home, nap lots, go for walks, order a massive takeaway to have over a couple of nights, go for a swim, enjoy the peace and quiet.

vfoster Tue 17-Jan-17 14:14:49

I'm heading from Cheshire to Cornwall for a week at 33 weeks! I did a few weekends away about the same time when I was pregnant with my daughter. Both pregnancies classed as 'high risk'. I honestly find it quite relaxing to get away from home for a few days. I might need to
Stop a lot on the way down though.
Just do whatever you feel comfortable with! 😃

SeashellHoarder Tue 17-Jan-17 18:39:41

I would with a low risk pregnancy, but not if you're consultant lead.

You'd be away till you turn 37 weeks, I know of a lot of babies born at 37 weeks!!

confusedandemployed Tue 17-Jan-17 18:42:57

I had a completely normal pregnancy despite being ancient. I think I went on a longish day trip (4hrs round trip) when I was overdue. I was definitely still going off on day trips at about 39-41 weeks (DD born 40+12).

But I have no experience of high risk.

Nottalotta Tue 17-Jan-17 19:06:20

I wouldn't be comfy in the car for that amount of time. If you don't fancy it, don't go. It's a very personal thing.

VintagePerfumista Tue 17-Jan-17 19:09:59

I flew at 36 weeks.

Consultant lead, as ancient grin

Ilovecaindingle Tue 17-Jan-17 19:10:54

I drove back from Spain 20 days before dd was born. .

gruber Tue 17-Jan-17 19:12:55

I found I wasn't sleeping well by that point- multiple pillows, getting up lots in the night- and tended to stay in bed later till about 9 /10 because I'd had a disturbed night. I couldn't imagine being away from home at that point, but then I don't sleep well elsewhere... something to consider. And definitely could not cope with more than 1 hr in car with baby on my bladder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now