First time pregnancy questions(10 Posts)
I have taken 2 pregnancy tests over the weekend, both of which have come back positive As this will be my first pregnancy, I have a bunch of questions if anyone can help?
1. When people talk about the 12 week scan, is this actually 10 weeks from conception as I have just read that the first 2 weeks since the start of my last period count in the 'how far along you are' calculations?
2. I guess I need to call the Dr, would an initial appt just be a blood test confirming the pregnancy?
3. What vitamins should I be taking? I have been taking folic acid for about a month but is there a good multi vitamin anyone can recommend that's an all in one?
4. Is air travel OK? I have a trip to Tenerife coming up this Sunday & then a trip to the USA in March, at which point I will be 12 weeks or 14 week depending on the answer to my first question.
Thanks in advance for any answers, this is quite mind boggling!
Yes, your pregnancy will be dated from the first day of your last period until you have your dating scan. So you're two weeks pregnant before you get pregnant.
You may not need to see your doctor at all, and they won't take blood. They'll believe the test you've already taken. Check with the surgerys reception team. You may just see a midwife once you're about eight to ten weeks pregnant.
Take folic acid and vitamin D. Nothing else needed, and you can take Pregnacare or similar or cheaper to take folic and D on their own.
You can trace up to about twenty eight weeks on most airlines without a doctors letter. I did the USA at seventeen weeks, Mexico at nineteen weeks and across Europe right up to twenty eight weeks when I went to Venice.
Congratulations on your BFP
1. The number of weeks pregnant you are is calculated from your LMP (last missed period), so just think of being that pregnant from now on, even though you know you probably didnt conceive until 2 weeks later. Its confusing but just the way it is calculated. So if your clear blue says 1-2 weeks, consider it as 3-4
2. Think booking in appts are normally around 8 weeks. They won't do a blood test, they take your word for it that you are pregnant, as the tests you use at home are the same as they use to detect a pregnancy.
3. Try pregnacare?
4. Air travel is fine, especially short distance to Tenerife. You will be 14 weeks travelling to USA, have a look online for advice about possible considerations, but will be absolutely fine
2) I'm 37 weeks and have never had my hCG levels checked. I'm always baffled by how many people seem to! Anyway, I phoned the GP surgery and the receptionist gave me the number to self refer to the midwives.
Don't need pregnacare or other multivit. It's stupidly expensive. Folic acid and Vit D. Both available on their own, cheaply at most pharmacies and even supermarkets. Try to eat as well as you can, read NHS or other site about the Do/Don'ts (more don'ts than dos it seems for diet). But if you feel nauseous, eat what you can, when you can.
Dr won't do blood test, I wouldn't have seen mine at all if I hadn't needed to check what to do re taking antidepressants. I booked flu jab got midwives no and prescription exemption form all at GP reception. This does vary massively by area though it seems. I rang up and got a booking appt the next week (was only five weeks but didn't want to wait to get things 'moving'). You do need to get the flu jab sorted ASAP though really. It's mostly to protect you from complications such as pneumonia.
Scan at '12 weeks' is 12 weeks approx from Last Menstrual Period and they use it to confirm dating/ move due date, and check for chromosomal abnormalities with that and a blood test IF you choose to find out. My due date actually moved forwards five days based on scan, which seemed like quite a lot to me.
Sorry to butt in, I'm 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby and the midwife recommended Pregnacare but I'm taking Folic acid and Vit D and the Pregnacare tablets are like horse tablets so can I go without?
Actually just found this!
Just wanted to write that I'm so glad someone else has as many questions as I do! First time mum-to-be and so many questions!!!! Gah
Join the discussion
Please login first.