Talk

Advanced search

Leftover chinese

(12 Posts)
harleysmammy Sun 15-Jan-17 19:37:10

I had fried rice and curry last night but could only eat half so i wanted to eat it today. I really crave cold rice and curry but im petrified its bad for the baby. Can i eat it or no?

ConvincingLiar Sun 15-Jan-17 20:03:51

I think pregnancy is irrelevant but rice always needs to be handled with care. Unless you cooled it properly and stored it in the fridge it's risky.

catchyjem Sun 15-Jan-17 20:08:30

Don't ! It's not worth the risk. You should have binned it last night then you wouldn't even be tempted.

roseteapot101 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:24:33

As long as you put it in fridge last night and heat it piping hot then should be fine.I would fry the rice till very hot though dont eat it cold

harleysmammy Sun 15-Jan-17 20:39:42

My sister whos pregnant said it was fine so i had a few mouthfuls, didnt eat it all, only a couple of spoonfuls if that. Will it hurt the baby?

kikisdelivery Sun 15-Jan-17 21:14:57

I ate a load of reheated (to piping hot, of course) chinese which we had leftover only a few days ago. This was chinese which we'd bought a few weeks earlier and frozen, so honestly as long as you piping hot heat the meat it should be fine. Like others have said though, rice can be a bit dodgy so I personally wouldn't have it (and we never keep the rice if we have it) but other stuff should be fine.

ighinici Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:00

oh, i had no idea cold rice would be problematic. why's that? (had cold leftovers many times, had no idea it was dangerous) :-S

Justcurious000 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:24:24

I have reheated rice a lot. I've got it for work tomorrow and am pregnant, didn't think it'd be a risk.

Starlight2345 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:24:55

The thing with rice is it is high risk for food poisoning. I didn't eat take away rice at all during my pregnancy.

That been said unless you are ill don't worry.

soundsystem Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:03

Assuming you put it in the fridge and didn't leave it lying out overnight, it's absolutely 100% fine, pregnant or not. The risk with rice/food poisoning is to do with reheating, there's no risk involved in eating cold rice!

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 15-Jan-17 21:40:49

Bacillus cereus which is the bacteria that causes food poisoning from rice produces heat-resistant enterotoxins when it grows, it grows when cooked rice is left at room temperature and these toxins cannot be killed by reheating.

Which is why I tend to chuck any leftover take-away rice. Not worth the risk as I don't know how long it was cooked for before getting to me.

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 15-Jan-17 21:41:47

So there is a risk in eating cold rice, if it was left for too long at room temperature prior to chilling!

(I'm sure you'll be fine though OP, just for future reference).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now