Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy - Dizziness

(26 Posts)
Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 17:50:31

Hi All, I am 4-5 weeks pregnant and found out only a few days ago. We are extremely happy, but I never realised that I would worry so much. Is this because you don't feel pregnant this early on? I have sensertive achy boobs and I've have experienced light headed spells when standing up. Is this normal?

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 18:19:59

That is all normal laura. So is the worrying, I think!

Congratulations smile

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:46:40

Thank you. How far are you? I feel like I'm looking out for every twinge or something that's doesn't usually happen. Also, my sister told me to sleep on my left, but I've found it uncomfortable so I keep getting a dead arm. I've read that ita ok to sleep on right too, but then left when you're further on. Is this right? Can you tell I'm new to this haha!

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 18:53:22

I think you actually only have to worry abut that once your womb is bigger. I sleep on my belly sometimes but I'm only (almost) 9 weeks. Soon enough I won't be able to so I'm making the most of it!

Looking out for every little symptom is normal (I had a thread on here last week in a superpanic about symptoms). Just try and relax. Easier said than done, but if you don't you'll drive yourself mad!

This is my second. Experience doesn't mean anything apparently 😂

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:57:42

Just typing on here helps though doesn't it. This is my first thread, so thank you so much for replying to me, and congratulations on your wonderful news. We've only told our parents, but it's kind of added pressure now for everything to be ok. I can't get used to all these extra toilet trips. What symptoms have you experienced so far?

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 19:10:57

Ridiculously painful boobs, severe motion sickness, increased toilet trips, headaches and exhaustion all before 8 weeks.

You will be different though. With my first I had NOTHING until 8 weeks and then vommed everywhere.

Just don't think about it and try to enjoy it!

Thank you! I've been a bit of a wreck - this pregnancy was a complete surprise after I'd accepted secondary infertility. It does help to talk about it here though. Some lovely posters straightened me out last week grin

We've told my parents because I was such a wreck but DH is waiting to tell his after scan this week so now I feel a bit guilty.

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:22:27

Aww poor u, sounds like you've had your fair share of symptoms then. I'm intriged what all this "craving food" is all about as I've always wondered what mine would be or if I'll even have one.
I will try and enjoy, thank you. You seem to have already put my mind at ease so thank you again for that. I hope i get to help someone when I'm in later stages.

Wow, so a double congratulations is in order for u then.

Try not to feel guilty. The scan will soon come around and then both sets of parents will know. Did he know you were telling them?

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 19:33:46

Aww glad I can help. The worrying will drive you insane so try and relax and enjoy it before symptoms kick in!

My craving with DS was salami and I ate a packets worth every day. I didn't realise I wasn't supposed to eat it. Guess who is a little mini salami addict now? 😂

DH told me to tell them because I was a hormonal mess but it's okay. Somehow they already knew hmm my parents are a bit woo and spooky that way.

Have you seen your GP yet? Its such an exciting time getting all your pregnancy gubbins sorted and reading the books they give you grin

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:45:05

Yeah it has been already. Think it's because you just pray everything goes ok.

Haha salami that's an interesting one. I've always found the food bit interesting. Like people go off things they've always enjoyed and vice versa. I'm a bit selective on the things I eat. I'm not fussy, but I suffer with IBS so I have to be careful of my choices.

How old is your little one? And did you have a boy or a girl last time round?

Haha my mums abit like that. Well he was supportive and said that you could, so you definately shouldn't feel guilty smile.

I have yes. I filled in a midwife form, but he didn't give me any books? I'm guessing your doctors are more thorough than mine. What happened when you went?

Jojobythesea Sun 15-Jan-17 19:49:58

Literally the first thing that made me do a test was the achey, painful boobs. Dizziness too. Your bp can fluctuate a bit or your blood sugar can make you feel like this. All normal. Congratulations flowers

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:56:30

Thank you very much. How far are you and what symptoms have you experienced?

I did one when I was a day late, and just thought it would be another negative, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was positive smile.

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:58:25

All the dinosaurs - am i right im assuming "DS" is daughter? Not very good at abbreviations 😃.

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 20:29:49

DS is son grin he is almost 4 shock. Don't worry, you will learn the abbreviations. My GP gave me Emma's Diary which is hilariously DIRE and as old as time. It's mostly advertising but there's some useful bits in there and a "Having a Healthy Pregnancy" book which is a bit more useful but nothing you can't find online. GP was lovely just weighed me, did BP and made sure I was alright and taking folic acid. The receptionist said congratulations and I burst into tears! Crazy hormones!

Ahh I don't have IBS but do have a dairy intolerance. I had a craving for milky coffee and thought just one would be fine. Oh how wrong could I be.

I hope you are able to eat everything you need. My first time round I was fine with food but this time I have aversions to everything except mash, biscuits and plums. It's so funny... I suppose my body knows what it's doing.

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:01:20

Oh son, don't i feel silly. My Dr did none of the above, other than give me prescribex with folic acid. He did however congratulate me and was very nice.

Aww and yeah it is amazing what hormones can do. I'm emotonal anyway, so I dread to think how bad I will get throughout my pregnancy.

Oh no! I love coffee so I have bought myself some decaff smile.

Thank you. Haha what a funny variety. I hope that's not all at once!! I find it really interesting to find out what people go off or what people crave.

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:23

Other than gave me folic acid *

jobrum Sun 15-Jan-17 21:22:54

I remember to worry! Now 27 weeks with no. 2 but with both I felt perfectly fine until about week 7 then got morning sickness. Went off foods - just certain foods or flavours I couldn't go near. But even this time round on the odd day I felt fine I couldn't help but worry that feeling fine was bad!

Don't worry about sleeping. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I stopped being comfortable lying on my front! I was also very dizzy up to about four months, low blood pressure is quite common to begin with.

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:22

There's not really much to do in the first trimester tbh. I remember feeling a bit abandoned. That's why I put off my doctors appointment this time til 8 weeks and that's only cause I wanted a sick note.

The first time round they didn't do BP or weight.

I'm currently in bed eating cake. I have a fabulous excuse wink

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:17

Jo brum- Congratulations, not that long for you then 🤗.

Thanks for the help. I've slept on my right side for years, and have found it really awful to sleep on my left, so I havent been sleeping too well.

With regards to worry, I feel so much better just having posted on here smile. How are you getting on?

Laurad04 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:17:37

ALLthedinosaurs - oh ok well that sounds reassuring. Yes abandoned sounds like how it's going to be for now anyway.

I hope you enjoyed your cake smile!

LurkinMerkin Sun 15-Jan-17 22:41:30

Hello Laura congratulations!! I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my first baby, don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet. I'm sure you are anxious, I totally was ( and still worry) but here's a few thoughts from me:

Sleep: at your stage the most important thing for you is sleeping comfortably and well, the advice about sleeping on your left side applies from later in pregnancy and is because a major vein in your body ( the vena cava) can get squashed by the growing fetus and other gubbins when you lie flat on your back and this can make you feel dizzy and apparently risk reduced blood flow to the placenta. I know if I'm in the wrong position as I feel squashed and start wheezing, so I use lots of pillows to prop me up and help me sleep on my back, but elevated, or I sleep on my left. Sleeping on my right has become v uncomfy.

Diet: I have bad IBS and ulcerative colitis, BUT since falling pregnant I have never felt better in relation to my guts! I Combat the dizziness by drinking plenty and eating regularly, keep some snacks in your bag for emergencies. Like some of the other Posters I've got low BP and have to make sure I'm topped up with fluids etc.

Nausea: that kicked in for a while from about 10 weeks and was grim, I was never actually sick but felt seasick and hungover much of the time, I'd tackle it by nibbling 2 Jacobs cream crackers before I even got out of bed in the morning and I'd have ginger nuts if I needed them too. It passed for me in a few weeks luckily.

Not long to go til your first scan, I was pretty stressed and couldn't wait til 12 weeks to see bub, ( part of me just didn't believe I was pregnant) so we booked a private scan at just over 9 weeks, it wasn't much to look at, really just a wee peanut, but we saw the heart beating and I was able to relax. By my 12 week scan the peanut had sprouted arms and legs!

Hope that's helpful! X

Laurad04 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:16:21

Lerkinmerkin - Congratulations on your wonderful news! It's so nice that you are leaving the sex as a surprise ( I hope we decide that too!).

I slept on normal side last night (right) and then just tossed and turged like usual too. Had a better night sleep. I will have to attempt the left side nearer the time, so I get abit more used to it.

Ibs is a nightmare in itself let alone accompanied with something else. So I'm glad things have eased for you.

I haven't had any sickness yet, but my sister found it comforting as much as she hated it, because she atleast felt pregnant.

How lovely you had a scan before 12 that must have given you peice of mind. Getting to my 12th week feels like forever away. Did it go fast for you? X

Laurad04 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:17:35

Ps thank you for all your help and advice smile

LurkinMerkin Mon 16-Jan-17 15:58:06

In the beginning you kind of feel like it's all a dream, and until your first scan and you see bub it's hard to really imagine it's true, at least that's how I felt! Yes it can take a while for the weeks to tick by in the first trimester, I found it quite slow going, the second trimester whizzed by though, and now this third one feels like it will last forever, I've so much to do at work before finishing and I just feel massive, wheezy and heartburny BUT I feel so much more connected to baby, it's movements are much more pronounced and it responds to my voice etc, plus I'm OBVIOUSLY pregnant, and people definitely treat you differently, in a good way mostly. grin

Totally agree that despite the yuck feeling, morning sickness, sore boobs etc are a good indicator that your body is doing its thing re hormones etc! It's amazing how thinking differently about things like feeling pukey can help you cope better.

Use the time now to look after yourself, take some pregnancy vits and folic acid ( Asda do good ones in a pink box that are basically the exact same as pregnacare but about a third of the price!) eat well, drink plenty gentle exercise and rest...and enjoy still being able to see your feet/tie your shoelaces!

And try not to worry! X

Laurad04 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:18:48

I do feel like it's a dream. I was a tad sleepy in the day, probably because I have had a few restless nights sleep with my legs. I had slight dizziness again today, but that has now disappeared. It's so hard to convince yourself you're not pregnant. I had no idea it would just be worry for the moment you find out.

Well you can only do what you can at work before leaving. Will you be handing it over to someone before leaving? Wow sounds amazing that he or she knows your voice. Amazing smile.

Yes the sore boobs are still there and I had some light twinges today in my tummy. It only last about 5 seconds. Tbh I quite looking forward to more symptoms lol then I'll moan afterwards when they're here grin.

Thank you. My doctor has given me folic acid so uve been taking one each day with my evening meal.

I will try not to worry thank you and that comment about my feet made me laugh! Haha x

Laurad04 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:19:38

Sorry for the typos new phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now