Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping in second trimester

(5 Posts)
harleysmammy Sun 15-Jan-17 16:14:37

Hi, i have slept on my left side since i saw an article about it being safer for the baby at like 10 weeks ish. I slept on my life up until a good few weeks ago and i had such bad hip, shoulder and neck ache i just couldnt tolerate sleeping on the left anymore. I turned to my right but couldnt get into a deep sleep because i was SO worried it wasnt doing the baby any good. I saw my midwife last week and she said just to sleep wherever im comfiest and when i said about sleeping on my back and right she kind of dismissed it and said just to sleep where ever i want too but obviously not on my stomach. Since then i have started too sleep on my right and even on my back but propped up, its been better but im still struggling to get into a deep sleep because im worried and when i wake up not on my left side i do worry. Am i just being silly? I know its stupid but ive read loads and everything ive seen has said pregnant woman should sleep on the left. Ive always liked the right side more, i just wanna sleep comfy knowing the baby is okay too

arbrighton Sun 15-Jan-17 16:41:44

Well i've always slept on my right and I can't control what I do when I'm asleep so I'm just not worrying about it.

It might be better but only if knowing that doesn't stress the Mum to be out. That's worse for the baby I'm sure!

FeelingForSnow Sun 15-Jan-17 17:25:54

Im 22+3 weeks, PG3. In al my pregnancies I have tried to sleep on my sides, preferring the left but they do get tired and then I switch to my back but not for very long, just to rest. That seems to work.

You can also twist your upper body like you are sleeping on your back but leave your hips like you're sleeping on your side. Again, for a reasonably short time as its not the most comfortable position but it hals to rest other muscles.

lilyborderterrier Sun 15-Jan-17 20:54:24

I remember my midwife saying that in my first pregnancy, I got myself a huge body length pillow which I straddled, it was like there was a 3rd person in the bed with me and my partner. Relax and sleep although I remember having to get up ever 15 minutes to go for a wee!

Currently 8 weeks pregnant and already thinking of resurrecting the pillow of dreams!

Spam88 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:01:08

I think the main thing is not to sleep on your back, and then the preference is to sleep on your left rather than your right because it's slightly better, not that sleeping on your right is dangerous. This is all later on in pregnancy as well, when the baby's heavy enough to cause issues, so at 10 weeks you can sleep how you like.

My yoga instructor suggests alternating between left and right until just before the end of the pregnancy to save your hips. She also suggested that if you're likely to roll into your back when laying on your left, you can pop a little pillow behind you so that if you do roll back your right side will still remain slightly elevated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now