Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercising while pregnant

(14 Posts)
user1479669774 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:02:09

Hello,

I'm 13 weeks along and wondered what exercise regimes you had or did during pregnancy.

I have a dog so take him walking but that's about it

Thank you

confusedandemployed Sun 15-Jan-17 15:04:36

I'm a heavy exerciser but I gotta be honest, in pregnancy I did next to nothing.

I was absolutely exhausted during the first 16 weeks. By the time my energy came back I was a bit too big to go back to "proper" exercising.

I did do aqua aerobics and ante natal Yoga, and I also had dogs so walked them at least once a day.

arbrighton Sun 15-Jan-17 15:05:09

General advice is keep doing what you were already doing at a level you can manage so, for example, at 15 weeks, I'm still taking my rowing boat out for the odd half hour but not at anything other than slow pace. bump will rule that out at some point. I walk the dog too. I mean to try and do pregnancy pilates from you tube but haven't started yet.

arbrighton Sun 15-Jan-17 15:05:55

oh, meant to add that lady my mum supported via homestart kept running up til 30 odd weeks including running a 10k race.

Blacksox Sun 15-Jan-17 15:06:04

I think it's more to do with what you're used to. I continued to train 5 times a week because that was what I did.

It's really important to try and keep fit, but don't start doing anything strenuous if you're not used to it. I think swimming suits anyone and keep up with the walking.

peppatax Sun 15-Jan-17 15:14:47

I'm just about getting to the point I need to stop running but have started upping swimming to compensate. I'll keep going as long as I can. IME from DD1, keeping fit goes a long way for keeping well in later pregnancy, birth and recovery after.

arbrighton Sun 15-Jan-17 15:17:00

I haven't been training as much as I was like Blacksox said, partly as we went away for a month just before I got pregnant, and partly as I was so bloody exhausted that actually getting the dog walked each day was as much as I could do.

I'm going to start swimming too. Not that keen on it but at least I can't get too heavy for swimming or bump get in the way like with the rowing.

SheepyFun Sun 15-Jan-17 15:43:22

I cycled about 50 miles a week before becoming pregnant, and continued that through pregnancy until I was admitted (37 weeks) with the full support of my midwife and physio. However you wouldn't be advised to take up cycling in pregnancy if you hadn't been cycling before. I also took up swimming - I did lengths; I found the aqua natal classes a bit tame! Having said that, with swimming anything is better than nothing, you might find the aqua natal classes great.

Swissgemma Sun 15-Jan-17 15:45:02

I had a personal training session 2 times a week until 2 weeks before my monkey was born. Did pilates once a week. Walked the dog daily. Skied until 6 months (only stopped because the lifts closed!)

Ladybird1979 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:32:24

I am a very keen cyclist. I kept my usual hard regime going till about 20 weeks but since then I just really listen to my body and do what I feel like. This week I've only done 2 hrs but that's more to do with the safety of cycling outdoors.

I think walking the dog is great exercise. Try not to become a sloth but be sensible and listen to your body.

Sugarcoma Sun 15-Jan-17 19:58:10

Confused Like you I was really active before getting pregnant but for a variety of reasons I stopped going to the gym at about 5 weeks and haven't been since - how long did it take post-pregnancy to start exercising again, how did you know where to start (fitness level wise) and how did you find it?

Honeybee79 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:40:52

I had DD 7 weeks ago. I did about 4 dance classes a week throughout (mixture of zumba and contemporary) and some swimming. Did my final dance class 3 days before she was born ☺.

Felt great throughout and had the all clear to keep going. I just avoided crunches and sit ups after the first trimester and listened to my body, esp in hot weather.

I returned to dance class today. Exercise keeps me sane!

carrotcakecupcake Sun 15-Jan-17 21:02:54

With DC1 I walked the dog almost every morning (20-30min stroll), went swimming 2-3 times a week and did pregnancy Pilates once a week. I was already quite active and swimming in particular felt great. With my current pregnancy I'm lucky if I get to the pool once a week, and feel a lot worse for it!! I still manage a fair amount of walking but find I am struggling more physically this time!!

Helbelle75 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:50

I've always done a lot of exercise. I carried on ballet until 9 weeks, then had a few weeks off because of tiredness. I went back at 16 weeks and do 2 hours a week, I also joined a pregnancy yoga class at 18 weeks which is great.
I do a lot of walking as well. I think whatever feels comfortable for you, and as others have said, following your usual routine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now