Talk

Advanced search

Due next week and suddenly feel unprepared

(17 Posts)
MollyWho Sat 14-Jan-17 22:40:42

Just what the title says really. Not sure what anyone can say to make things any better but just felt like I needed a bit of reassurance / a bit of a vent.

DC2 is due next week. My hospital bag is packed. My birth plan is written. I've done this once before. Yet all of a sudden I've gone from 'I'm ready to have it now' to 'I can't have it yet, I'm not ready'. Not sure what I'm not ready for hmm
Is this normal? I don't remember being like this with the first, but then again we'd done all the antenatal classes and lots of reading and research.
Is anyone else feeling the same?

Nottalotta Sat 14-Jan-17 22:48:16

Yes me! I'm 37+2 and in no way ready. I have my bag packed, that's it. No birth plan, still have washing to do. Ds is still in my room, his room is not ready, no double pushchair........ Argh.

MollyWho Sat 14-Jan-17 22:53:25

Without trying to make you feel worse Nottalotta, the weird thing is I have got all the stuff ready, everything is out of the attic, washed, some of it even ironed!
I think I'm either not mentally ready for labour or for the baby or both.

sj257 Sun 15-Jan-17 00:06:16

I feel the same! Due Wednesday. I'm terrified, think it's because my other two are 8 and 10 so feels like a big lifestyle change!

ConvincingLiar Sun 15-Jan-17 07:20:52

I think when you feel "ready" it's a trick. You're not. You never really can be. Maybe 2nd time round you know this?!

Trulyamnearanear Sun 15-Jan-17 07:24:30

38 weeks here with dc2 and a panic has set in. Like I have no clue what I'm doing and it's all terrifying. Is it too late to back out?!!

MollyWho Sun 15-Jan-17 08:33:01

Glad I'm not the only one.
Feels like there should be something I should be doing/learning!

GinIsIn Sun 15-Jan-17 11:42:34

36+2 with DC1. Bag not packed, stuff not washed, crib not put together yet. I know I need to do it ASAP but every time I think of doing something I remember all the other things that need doing and then I don't do any of it!

user1484383294 Sun 15-Jan-17 12:07:06

I'm 35+6 with DC2 and I've packed my bag, got a whole wardrobe full of clothes, got the buggy, car seat etc etc and I can't think of another thing to get organised or prepared but I still feel like I'm missing something and I'm not ready yet. I think it's completely normal, you can't ever be truly prepared. I'm just using it as me time instead of panic time. smile

MollyWho Sun 15-Jan-17 12:25:27

Good idea user1484.. might have to indulge in some me time - luckily DC1 is still attending nursery so I can!

Teaspoon74 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:02:41

If it would help distract you ( smile ) what did you/do you recommend for hossie bag and basic starter kit for bubs?

First timer and putting together my list to take advantage of final sales but at a bit of a loss as to what I'll need for hospital and first few weeks confused

MollyWho Sun 15-Jan-17 16:10:01

I've got 2 hospital bags one for baby one for me.

Babies bag has...
Nappies
Cotton wool
Nappy bags
Vasaline
Vests x 3
Babygro x 3
Hat
Blanket
Car seat and coat (left these in the car until time to go)

I've just got 1 size of baby clothes this time as baby is likely to be over 9lb but a good tip I used last time was to put the clothes in freezer bags labelled with the sizes so you're not having to rummage through the bag all the time.

My bag...
Maternity notes
Small wash bag
Dark coloured towel
Hair band & clips
Lip salve (gas & air dries lips out)
Nighties - front opening and dark colour
Robe - dark colour
Flip flops
Big knickers (primary, you can bin them after but nicer than the disposable ones)
Maternity pads
Snacks and drinks
Spare top for DH
Going home clothes
Rennie / Gaviscon
Phone charger
Tens machine
Carrier bag for any soiled clothes shock

Think that's it. My bag is packed in order ( unlike the list) things for the birth, things for after and then things for going home.

If you end up needing to stay in just make sure DP knows where things are at home so he can bring them later.

Teaspoon74 Sun 15-Jan-17 16:36:00

Thanks molly - really helpful!
I have lists upon lists of things to buy and sort and want to crack on!
Am nearly 23wks but feel like time is starting to fly hmm

MollyWho Sun 15-Jan-17 16:50:22

Plenty of time for hospital bags!
Enjoy the more exciting things like prams for now!

soundsystem Sun 15-Jan-17 21:33:49

I'm the same! 39 weeks today with DC2 and I'm ready in the sense of having everything I need organised but I don't feel mentally prepared. I think I'm a bit on edge about when it happens/what we do with DD, as it will depend on time of day/if she's at nursery, etc. There is a plan in place but until it actually happens...

Weirdly, I think that I'll relax once I'm actually in labour! It's the not knowing when it will happen part struggling with

GinIsIn Sun 15-Jan-17 21:36:07

Thanks Molly! Actually got off my backside and did my bag. And washed the last of the baby clothes and bedding. Just need to put the cot together, and I'm nearly there!

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Mon 16-Jan-17 09:22:43

I'm 36+4 and I keep having minor panics about how unprepared I am.
I've started maternity leave today so hope I can actually get my act together.

This is DC2, so there's very little for us to buy, which has made us quite lazy. We dug out the Sarah seat, pram and Moses basket from the loft weeks ago, but promptly shoved it in the conservatory and done nowt with them since. Actually, I washed the car seat covers yesterday.

We moved DS in to the larger bedroom in October, and it looks lovely the "nursery" is just a dumping ground with partly removed Thomas wallpaper.

I've made a lame attempt at packing my hospital bag - shampoo, towel, maternity pads, giant knickers, ear plugs, little bit of make up. Nothing for the baby!

I have two bin bags full of 0-3 month vests and sleep suits that I need to sort through and wash, but I'm avoiding doing that until the nursery is sorted and can put them away properly!

Argghh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now