Talk

Advanced search

Chronic cough - pelvic floor taking a battering, anyone else?

(16 Posts)
Penguin13 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:27:34

Just hoping for a bit of a commiseration thread really. 29 weeks with DC2 and have had a cough for 2 - 3 weeks now and my muscles have taken a real battering with the strain of coughing, not to mention the indignity of having to don some tena lady style protection blush The same thing happened in my last pregnancy and it really weakened my pelvic floor despite trying to brace before coughing and doing my exercises. Sobs. Anyone else in the same boat? I did wonder about reflux but have been guzzling gaviscon with no improvement really and haven't really been getting other reflux symptoms.

Lovemylittlebear Sat 14-Jan-17 18:37:29

Yes exact same here! Baby three bad cough and trying not to piss myself all the time! Didn't have this problem with first two.

Gardencentregroupie Sat 14-Jan-17 18:47:03

Baby two, cough that in my case definitely is worse with reflux, and the utter shame of hiding incontinence pads at the bottom of my shopping basket sad

Penguin13 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:48:56

It's grim isn't it. Can't believe I have, 2.5 months to go still. Last pregnancy my cough lasted a good couple of months sad

lynseyc83 Sat 14-Jan-17 19:50:55

I'm same coughing now for 4 weeks, coughing that much I'm sick and tiddling at the same time, very embarrassing

Lovemylittlebear Sat 14-Jan-17 19:51:19

OMG what pads shall I get? I have just about pissed myself twice today....bad times indeed! Had a stomach bug recently too lol and that was heinous I couldn't puke without weeing! Hope it goes back to kind of normal afterward. How on earth has that lady had like 16 babies and not brought this up on the programme 16 and counting

Penguin13 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:21:50

Am I a horrible person for being a little bit glad that it's not just me in this somewhat leaky boat?

flowers for you lynsey sickness on top of the coughing must be horrible!

Love sorry to hear about your stomach bug - hope you are feeling loads better now. I have tena lights think they are called ultra towels. So far they are doing the job and they look basically like normal panty liners (not quite as festive sounding as the party liners my auto-correct was keen to suggest grin) so they allow me the illusion that I'm not incontinent really hmm

Ha I'd not really thought of that re 16 and counting but you make a fair point! I did have a few leaking issues after DD1 but although I wouldn't have said I exactly had a pelvic floor of steel I did get back to more or less normal eventually before conceiving DC2. That said, I was never super diligent about my kegels and sure I would have improved much more quickly had I been. This time I am using the squeezy app to try to make sure I remember to do them.

Gardencentregroupie Sat 14-Jan-17 21:11:02

I bought the Always ones on the off chance that I would bump into someone I knew then if they looked in my trolley they would wonder why the pregnant lady was buying sanitary pads rather than being grossed out seeing tena lady which is for one thing only blush

Penguin13 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:56:24

OK that's it. Decided I need to make an appointment to see if I can get something prescribed for reflux (if that even is the problem). Tried to get an early night as have a rotten cold and felt so sick I had to get up. Not sure I can take another 2.5 months of constantly feeling like I need to clear my throat and coughing. I have just been taking gaviscon but is there something better I can get without a prescription?

Gardencentregroupie Sun 15-Jan-17 05:24:00

You can buy ranitidine (zantac etc) and take it perfectly safely without a prescription

Penguin13 Sun 15-Jan-17 06:44:55

Thanks garden will try and get that today and see if it helps. Was awake till 01.00 propped up on cushions on the sofa and of course 30 mins after I finally managed to get to sleep DD1 fell out of her big girl bed and required about an hour of settling.

DH has come down with the same bad cold I have and I just know he is going to feel loads worse than me hmm and I'm going to get stuck with wrangling our, 2yo DD by myself today because he sent me back to bed for a couple of hours yesterday after hours of it being obvious I was feeling really poorly.

Sorry have digressed from my original topic somewhat. Body racking coughs and essential tena lady still in place too!

Laulou87 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:16:19

Thank god it's not just me!! No-one I know will admit to having this issue. 25 weeks in and a horrendous cough/cold means the tena are being put through their paces blush! This didn't happen first time round but i suppose it's only a relatively short time and fingers crossed will go back to normal after!

Penguin13 Wed 18-Jan-17 15:03:58

Turns out I have bronchitis and the coughing isn't caused by reflux after all I'm my case. They have prescribed antibiotics although the cause is viral so I think more as a preventative of complications but getting seen means I am signed off work with time to recover so would urge you ladies with lingering coughs to get seen if you can. Last time I left it and really regretted it. Feel better soon everyone who is coughing xx

Lovemylittlebear Wed 18-Jan-17 17:10:56

Mine still isn't shifting but doctor wants to give it a few more days. My dog just ate the baby's powder formula and my three year old just shat on the floor. I'm trying not to cough in case I piss myself lol - let the good times roll. I seriously want wine 🍷sad oh well will have to settle for squash. Hope your chest feels better soon x

Penguin13 Wed 18-Jan-17 17:57:42

Thanks Love. Sorry you are having a rubbish day. Dare I hope that the floor was at least wipe-clean? My cat has the unique ability to sense the hardest to clean surface and home in on that to after performing her regular purging ritual of eating grass hmm I'll cheers to that squash wine

Was actually working from home today but can have a proper rest tomorrow before Friday when I have my 2 yo home. Let's just say she's not fully on board with the NHS advice to rest grin

mrsclaus100 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:31:25

I hear ya sister 👊 I've had a cough since before Christmas and currently expecting #3. Also currently seeking a pelvic floor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now