Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waiting for cvs results, would love to hear from others who have been through this

(15 Posts)
dragonfly1978 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:11:55

Hi, this is my first ever post on a forum but am hoping people will share their experience of what we are going through.

I am 38 and had my 12 week scan on Thursday last week at Kings and everything was fine with the baby, heart fine, nasal bone present etc and normal nuchal fold measurement of 1.3mm. We were then given the blood results which showed hCG at 2.2 and PAPP-A at 0.35 which put me at high risk of downs, a 1:17 chance. They recommended that I have a CVS the same day and when we said yes without really having time to think about it, they did it within the hour.

I am now so worried and anxious waiting for the results. We should get them on Tuesday or Wednesday and I have not been able to sleep since this all happened.

Has anyone else had results similar to this? Would be great to hear from you

DeliciouslyHella Sat 14-Jan-17 17:23:24

I've not had a CVS, but am here to offer hand holding and some solidarity.

I had my screening the same day as you and it came back as high risk (1:72). I've had a harmony test done and am awaiting the results now.

I hope they get the results to you ASAP.

Notsure1234 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:34:10

I had 1:133 odds and had the cvs which was negative.

I had low Papp-a which caused my higher odds I think. I took baby aspirin as my placenta may not have functioned as well with the low Papp-a apparently. It increases the risk of placental abruption etc. My midwife didn't mention this to me, I read it online and asked the consultant who said there were thoughts that taking the aspirin was beneficial but it was not official advice yet but probably would be soon. This was about 2yrs ago. Had to stop the baby aspirin at 36 weeks as it shouldn't be taken just before birth.

I was also booked in for extra growth scans as low Papp-a can cause slowed growth. Ds did tail off at the end and was eventually induced due to reduced movement which probably wasn't related.

I hope I've not overwhelmed you with all this info but no one told me what to expect once I'd had a normal result, none of it may be relevant in your case even with a normal cvs result.

Good luck flowers

dragonfly1978 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:37:49

Thank you both for your replies. Sorry you are going through this wait as well deliciouslyhella, hopefully we can support each other!
Notsure1234, thank you for your reply, I read that growth can be affected with a low Papp-a, will add that and the aspirin to my long list of questions!

leighdinglady Sat 14-Jan-17 18:55:03

We've just been through this and unfortunately got bad news of Edwards. Our NT was much higher though at 3.9 and my Pappa A was only 0.2. It was absolutely horrible waiting for the results. I really hope you get better a result than us.

NervousNelly1986 Tue 17-Jan-17 15:23:25

Hi dragonfly,

I hope you're getting on ok. This is my first time posting but thought I would share my experience as you and I seem to be going through the same thing at the same time.

I'm 30, perfectly fit and healthy and was told the shocking news last Tuesday that I am being flagged high risk due to a high NT reading (4.0 mm) and not-so-great blood results (my hCG levels are reading high but Papp-A are in the normal range). As a result, my odds for DS are 1:5 sad I'm trying to focus on the fact that I have an 80% chance of everything being ok, but am still mind-boggled by the stat.

I had my CVS yesterday morning and am anticipating to receive my results any minute now. The wait is killing me even though I know I should be thankful to be receiving them the next day.

Please let me know how you're doing and hopefully you've had some good news by now! xx

dragonfly1978 Tue 17-Jan-17 15:45:54

Hi Nelly,
I had my cvs on Thursday and got the results this morning - all ok and I'm having a boy! It was the longest five days of my life waiting for the results and I didn't really sleep so I know exactly what you are going through. At least you don't have a weekend in between so should get your results tomorrow? Fingers crossed for you and you are right, there is an 80% chance everything will be ok. Let me know how you get on x

BlytheOfWindyWillows Tue 17-Jan-17 16:40:15

Hi Ladies,
I had a CVS yesterday lunchtime after a 1 in 5 for Down's syndrome. I got the results earlier today and all is ok.

harleysmammy Tue 17-Jan-17 18:09:11

I have good odds on my son but before i was born, my parents were "older" parents and the risk came back 1:5..they went through the trauma of risking having an amnio and even that said i would have downs. Im perfectly fine, just a little hope for you x

Embra Tue 17-Jan-17 21:38:37

Harleysmammy that is incredible story I didn't know the amino can be false positive! Congratulations to you))

NervousNelly1986 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:49:39

Hi all! I just wanted to report back that I'm all clear! I was sobbing tears of relief after getting off the phone with the consultant and I finally feel like I can start enjoying this pregnancy - gosh, the things we all take for granted. I'm being referred for an echocardiogram on the baby in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that will come out fine as well (prior to the CVS we listened to the heartbeat which was strong).

I also meant to mention in my original post that during the scan prior to my CVS, I was told that the NT had reduced back to normal levels - 2.5mm! While this didn't technically affect the DS odds, it was a promising sign nonetheless. So in case you are worried about your high levels, it's very possible that things will level out in a matter of days!

NervousNelly1986 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:52:59

Ah, hit submit too soon! I meant to say congrats to you dragonfly1978 and to BlytheofWindyWillows - we sure are a lucky bunch smile and to HarleysManmy: that's amazing! I suppose sometimes we just need to have a little bit of faith that everything will be fine in the end.

BlytheOfWindyWillows Thu 19-Jan-17 08:00:03

Brilliant news nervousnelly x

dragonfly1978 Thu 19-Jan-17 10:57:09

Fantastic news Nervous Nelly!!! smile

oliversmummy26 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:18:14

Congrats dragonfly on your news, that's brilliant! Can I ask when you had your bloods taken? That's amazing that they got the results there waiting for you after your scan and could get the CVS booked so soon..

Did you ask about the baby aspirin? notsure do you mean that taking baby aspirin is good and can help to increase your papp-a score?? Thanks, just a bit confused. I'm taking baby aspirin as I had a mc last year and have heard that it can help, so just wanted to make sure...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now