Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy weight gain? I'm confused

(6 Posts)
Sweetpea86 Sat 14-Jan-17 09:50:27

Hi I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I've gained about 5-6 pounds.

My bmi when i fell pregnant was 36-37 so my midwife told me not to gain more than 11-20 lbs.

I'm confused though. Does that mean on top of baby placenta fluids. Or all together.

I looked at a website that the actually pregnancy at then end can weigh up to 28lbs so does she mean no more than 20lbs on top of pregnancy?

I hope this makes sense I've battled with my weight and lost 2 as half stone before I fell pregnant. I'm not over eating but I'm not sure is a 5-6lb gain 22 weeks in is too much ?

Sorry for the ramble it's hard to put it on to words lol

Tootsiepops Sat 14-Jan-17 09:57:45

It's all together.

People in a healthy weight range also lay down fat stores during pregnancy. My bmi when I got pregnant was 32, so I already had plenty fat stores grin

I gained 14lbs total during pregnancy - all water and baby - and it had gone pretty much 6 weeks after giving birth.

It sounds like you are doing fine. I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you are eating appropriate amounts and having healthy foods, and keeping as active, then you're doing everything you can.

Trulyamnearanear Sat 14-Jan-17 11:34:24

Agree - that's the total weight gain to aim towards. I'm high bmi and have been told similar.
Bonus is it will go quicker afterwards.

Sweetpea86 Sat 14-Jan-17 11:39:52

Thanks ladies I was just worried coz my appetite last week has ramped up this last week I'm really trying to be good. grin could quite easily eat a horse grin

sweetchilli77 Sat 14-Jan-17 12:27:57

I'm same, my BMI is hi, was 39-40 when i got pregnant. Ive hit 25 week and I've popped, i feel massive and i waddle. I just looked the same before this.
sad

Sweetpea86 Sat 14-Jan-17 13:53:39

Yes sweet chilli I haven't gone in to maternity clothes yet but I don't look pregnant sad as long as we just gain right amount it will feel better once we have a babies then I'm losing my weight for good. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now