Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chronic heartburn

(10 Posts)
JJ1612 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:38:35

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help ease heartburn? I have tried absolutely everything and gaviscon/rennies make me vomit. Even drinking a glass of water gives me heartburn. Nothing seems to be working and it's constantly there as soon as I eat or drink something. I'm 25 weeks pregnant and it's just getting worse sad

Mybeautifullife1 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:45:06

I used water melon. Worked for me

Jojo13 Fri 13-Jan-17 19:24:02

I was reading a thread on here yesterday and a lot of advice was pointing towards Nexium.. sounds like a wonder drug!
Have a look for the tread though as there was loss of good advice. (Can't seem to link you to it, sorry)

RNBrie Fri 13-Jan-17 19:27:40

Please please go to the Gp and ask for omeprazole. It fixed my heartburn over night and it safe to take in pregnancy. You do not need to suffer.

CatAnnoyance Fri 13-Jan-17 20:05:42

I was suffering badly with this too. Mentioned it to my midwife on Wednesday and she suggested I see my GP to get some Zantac (ranitidine). I have an appointment on Tuesday but in the meantime I've tried over the counter Zantac and it's worked wonders. Last two nights I've actually been able to sleep lying down for the first time in weeks!

morningafterglow Fri 13-Jan-17 20:09:21

I second the Zantac. I suffered terribly with heartburn first pregnancy to the point where I lost weight in the 9th month, but second time round my consultant prescribed ranitidine (prescription double strength Zantac) and it totally fixed the problem. Don't suffer!

Namechangeemergency Fri 13-Jan-17 20:11:21

I had it really badly with DCs 4 & 5.
I found the chewy sweet-like ant acids worked best (sorry can't remember the name).
I didn't eat after 7pm
I slept propped up.
Only ate bland food
No fizzy drinks.

Hope you get some relief from the other poster's suggestions.

Namechangeemergency Fri 13-Jan-17 20:12:16

Oh I just remembered.
My HB was worse if I allowed myself to get too hungry.
I also ate very small portions. I stopped before I felt full.

raviolidreaming Fri 13-Jan-17 21:07:46

Ranitidine on prescription for me too, and I no longer have to watch what I eat or sleep propped up or feel like my throat is being burnt away by stomach acid.
Get to a GP. There's no need to suffer.

MissClarke86 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:48:04

I picked up my ranitidine prescription today and ALREADY feel better. It was a 2 minute phone consultation and was sorted. I have no idea why I didn't do it months ago!!

FYI - You can buy it over the counter but they won't give it you if they know you're pregnant without a prescription. It is regularly and easily prescribed to pregnant women though, and the prescribed tablets are twice the strength of the ones I've seen in Sainsburys. It's your body and your choice what you do though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now