We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heavy lifting in early pregnancy

(15 Posts)
FudgeCrackers Fri 13-Jan-17 17:38:28

I'm 8wks pregnant with my first, and my booking in appointment is still a few weeks away, so I need some advice.

I work alone in a shop, where part of my role includes heavy lifting. Every few weeks or so a pallet of stock arrives. This is left outside the shop, and I need to carry it in, box by box, check it off, and then either carry it downstairs, or slide it down a chute. There are no trollies etc, and no-one around to help.

To give you an idea of the weights involved, each box is about 13kg, with about 60 boxes to a pallet.

I'm a bit concerned about the safety for the baby. Is it safe to do this much lifting? I don't like doing the heavy lifting at the best of times, so am I just trying to get out of it when there's no real risk going ahead?

I really don't want to tell my boss about my pregnancy this early, but I'm not sure there is any other option. It is a small company, so no HR, and certainly no H&S risk assessment policy to go on either.

ricepolo Fri 13-Jan-17 17:42:50

Everything I've read confirms that heavy lifting can't cause miscarriage in the early stages (especially if you've been doing it before you get pregnant). you do risk hurting yourself more though because of the relaxin affecting your joints.

However, if it is worrying you, then it's not worth taking the 'risk'. Everyone's tolerance for risk is different so it's what you can live with.

calimommy Fri 13-Jan-17 17:44:06

Use proper lifting techniques and if it hurts put it down. Your really only able to be careful about lifting with your first pregnancy because after that you have children who don't give one whit about you being pregnant. I have a 3&1 yo who I regularly carry at the same time 🙄 but do look after your back.

oatybiscuits Fri 13-Jan-17 18:01:42

Yes take care for your back but you won't hurt the baby. You might find you get more aches and pains than usual because of hormones. We bought a derelict house when I was 8 weeks pregnant (first time parents naivity!) and I was determined to do as much of the heavy work as possible but I got spd very early and I'm sure it was related. 11 weeks with dc2 now and so far feeling a lot better (with only a 35lb toddler to carry grin)

ConvincingLiar Fri 13-Jan-17 19:12:16

I agree, I have a two year old who weighs about as much as one of your boxes. I try not to carry him, but do pick him up.

Scaredycat2016 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:17:35

Hi, I have 6 horses, a physical job and am pretty strong, regularly carrying 20kg sacks around and big water containers etc. I found out in early December that I was (surprisingly) pregnant and it didn't cross my mind for a couple of weeks that it may not be wise to be carrying stuff about! When I had my booking in appointment I asked about heavy lifting etc and was told to be careful, lift things correctly and make sure I keep my legs together (cue really bad joke from me to midwife!) x

RedCrab Fri 13-Jan-17 21:45:24

Yeah - this is just to put your mind at rest - not to sound twatty - but in subsequent pregnancies, you don't really have a choice not to do heavy lifting grin I had a 15kg toddler with my second pregnancy and this time around (DC3), I now have an 11kg toddler and a 20kg pre schooler who won't accept not being picked up occasionally. I've carried my toddler home from the park whilst in early pregnancy, and heavily pregnancy, which was a whole load of fun. It's funny because in your first pregnancy, every tells you to rest up and take it easy. For second or third babies, everyone just leaves you to it!

3luckystars Fri 13-Jan-17 21:49:25

Just say you have hurt your back and won't be able to lift for the next few weeks. Tell your manager this and don't lift anything if you don't want to.
I definitely wouldn't.

raviolidreaming Fri 13-Jan-17 21:56:09

I was told the same as previous posters - that the risk is to you due to Relaxin rather than the baby.

harleysmammy Fri 13-Jan-17 22:03:59

I panicked at 15 weeks because i pushed a glass table into a corner with my hip. Even though i didnt lift anything, my notes said not to push, pull or lift anything heavy. Everyone on the internet and my whole family said its more to make sure you dont hurt yourself as you're more likely to pull a muscle. When i was really early pregnant, like 6 weeks ish, i was carrying my 2 year old niece (who isnt the lightest baby). We took her for a walk and because we live in wales, i had to carry her up a huge hill because she wouldnt walk any further. Believe me i paid for it the next day but im 24 weeks now and everythings good. I'd be careful more for yourself and watch nothing falls on your belly, pick things up the right way etc x

PeachBellini123 Sat 14-Jan-17 01:46:36

I had to do some lifting in my job (I work in events so setting up/putting things away). I also had worries but you won't hurt your baby. I had to stop lifting at the end but only because bending down with a bump was too difficult!

Bolshybookworm Wed 22-Mar-17 06:17:41

The heavy lifting advice is also to protect your pelvic floor, which everyone forgets about. It's more of an issue in late pregnancy as the weight of the baby can put it under increased strain. Do follow the advice if you can, particularly in late pregnancy- it's to protect you from injury. It frustrates me that no-one talks about this, especially before you have kids, but pelvic floor issues are really comment in post-partum women so look after it if you can.
I did as the previous posters mentioned and carried my heavy toddler when I was pregnant with dc2- now I need surgery to repair a serious prolapse! Probably not the only cause (crap genes partly to blame) but I don't think it helped.

DuRezidal Wed 22-Mar-17 06:23:06

Like @Scaredycat2016 I have horses and as a result am constantly carrying heavy bags etc, pushing over haylage bales and offloading shavings.

As long as it's something you have always done then I wouldn't be too worried.

highinthesky Wed 22-Mar-17 06:28:23

OP - the real issue here is that when it comes down to it, you don't think your health and that of your baby should be sacrificed for your job. This is fair enough, but other than quitting and finding something else, what is the answer?

Bolshybookworm Wed 22-Mar-17 07:59:44

Once you have told your employers, they should do a risk assessment to check that the tasks that you are doing are not exposing you or your baby to harm. At this point, they should reassign you to another task, if necessary, or maybe purchase some equipment so that you can lift safely. I would have a chat with your midwife about safe lifting during pregnancy as well, so you have an idea of what's required and what you can and can't do. That's late for a booking in appointment- can you ask to bring it forward?

I know you don't want to tell your employer but it might be wise if you're really worried about the lifting- they have a legal obligation to protect your safety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now