Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dissertation - prenatal testing/NIPT

(10 Posts)
ashnair94 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:02:30

Hi there,

I'm currently in my final year at The University of Leicester and am in the middle of writing my dissertation project.

I've chosen to write about the ethics of prenatal testing and non-invasive prenatal testing in particular. I'm keen to understand whether people believe prenatal testing is beneficial and whether anyone fears the future prospects of these tests and the genetic information that may soon be available.

I was hoping there might be some mums out there who would be willing to contribute to the survey and maybe give their opinions on any experiences they might have. It shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

If there are any partners willing to participate or anyone else you know then please please please pass the link on as I need to get as many responses as I can.

The questions are very sensitive but if at any point you wish to stop the survey or would rather not disclose your answer then that's more than understandable. Any help you could give would be very much appreciated!

All responses are anonymous and are only for use in my dissertation

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NIPT2017

Thank you for taking the time to read this grin

SaltedCaramelEverything Fri 13-Jan-17 16:46:09

Done. Good luck with your studies!

TopKittyKat Fri 13-Jan-17 17:18:11

Done. Good luck. It's an interesting topic.

pitterpatterrain Fri 13-Jan-17 17:22:03

Done!

divadee Fri 13-Jan-17 17:28:15

Done. Good luck

ricepolo Fri 13-Jan-17 17:39:44

Done!

Twinnypops Fri 13-Jan-17 19:27:07

Bumping for you. Have you tried advertising on the UoL Insider email?

zambean Fri 13-Jan-17 20:04:29

Doing now. Couple of thoughts re your survey design. You ask a number of questions phrased as "would you do X", when it is something that I have done or am currently doing - might be better to reword these as "would you seek, or have you sought, a private genetic test if unavailable on NHS/insurance? Have or would the results of genetic testing affect your decision in continuing a pregnancy?" etc etc. There is an implicit assumption in many of the questions that this is purely hypothetical, whereas many of the people doing your survey will have actually gone through this and made these decisions, and your questions should probably be rewritten to reflect that.

Also, the questions asking what you would do if your baby was identified as having a particular condition - one of the options is "prefer not to know", which is my response for many of them, but then, that isn't what the question is asking! The question is asking "if you did know, what would you do?" So having "I would prefer not to know" as an option doesn't really make sense.

bookgirl1982 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:54:46

Done.

Your questions may not quite capture your respondents' experience. I have had nipt in the past but have not been pregnant in the last 12 months (just!).

ashnair94 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:04:06

Thank you to everyone for the responses and feedback! I wasn't expecting so many responses!

I did naively write the survey expecting to only be able to reach students and I'm not able to rewrite the questions because of ethics approval but would it be okay if I discussed your comments in my analysis when I'm talking about the limitations of the survey? (Anonymously of course)

I've tried to take on board the suggestions by adding some comments sections as I can't edit it too much now, I should've done my pilot study on some mums in hindsight sad

Thanks again for all your help! Very much appreciated grin gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now