Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heavy bleeding at 5 weeks but hcg doubling and gestational sac growing - confused

(11 Posts)
PoppyJ1 Fri 13-Jan-17 15:15:49

Hi,

Have many of you had heavy bleeding in early pregnancy but gone on to keep the pregnancy?

I had spotting a few days ago and have ended up having two scans and blood tests two days apart. Scan this morning (exactly 5 weeks) showed gestational sac has grown appropriately in two days to 5mm from 2.2mm, but nothing visible in it yet. I just started bleeding heavily but I'm not in pain. Midwife just called to say my blood test this morning showed my hcg has gone from 3300 to 7100 in 2.5 days and she said it's hopeful, even with the bleeding, but she sounded worried when I mentioned it.

I had a miscarriage seven weeks ago so when I saw the blood I burst into tears. But now I feel like I could be OK.

Any thoughts?

SenseiWoo Fri 13-Jan-17 15:20:48

Long shot, but this did happen to my sister. Turned out to be a rare hetero-ectopic pregnancy (twins, one ectopic, one not). She did carry the non-ectopic twin to term.

That doesn't mean that's what it is in your case-they are very rare. But if you are still having symptoms, I would press for another consultation.

PoppyJ1 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:25:13

Thanks Sensei. Seems there are various explanations! I don't think mine's ectopic cos my hcg has doubled, but will certainly get checked out if I have more problems. Bleeding has now stopped. Weird.

calimommy Fri 13-Jan-17 17:26:32

You might have a subchorionic haematoma. I had one which bled for weeks and eventually took the baby with it but LOTS of women get them and they go away.

Of course it might not be that either! X

Ilovecaindingle Fri 13-Jan-17 17:27:17

A girl I worked with bled the whole pregnancy on and off. They said she had blood clots and wasn't causing any problems with the baby so did nothing. She went full term with no other issues.

MaggieRhee Fri 13-Jan-17 19:31:08

I bled heavily with my first (at 6 weeks) for about 3 hrs but then it stopped and I had a normal rest of my pregnancy. With my second pregnancy I had no obvious problems until I realised I'd had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks, so bleeding is not always a bad sign, and not bleeding doesn't always mean you are safe. Hope all is well!

Gooseberryfools Fri 13-Jan-17 19:41:45

I bled with every pregnancy. Once extreamly heavy (like someone had cut a main artery and blood spurting everywhere fast), sometimes light (drops the size of a ten pence peice)

The blood spurting one was a haematoma. But was told it's fine as long as it's not right next to the baby in the first 12-16 weeks.

PoppyJ1 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:06:08

Thanks everyone for the encouraging stories and info! No fresh blood for several hours now, so fingers crossed x

Ineedanewbody Fri 13-Jan-17 20:09:51

I had a positive test followed by a completely normal and heavy period. HCG was rising though scans showed the uterus lining had gone but she clung on in there and is now asleep on my lap!

PoppyJ1 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:52:33

Awww, I love that, Ineedanewbody! ☺️

PoppyJ1 Mon 16-Jan-17 14:15:46

Thought I'd let you know I had a private scan today (I'm outside the uk at present) and all looks well; gestational sac is still growing and possibly a yolk sac visible. The gynae thinks I'm a day further along that initially thought and said the bleeding was likely a blood vessel or cervical knock; she did a trans abdominal scan in case an internal one set it off again. I also got an anti-D shot cos I'm rhesus negative. Still early days but very relieved. Thanks again for your replies!

I also found an interesting study on spotting and bleeding in pregnancy and its links to miscarriage. I hope it's reassuring reading for some women.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828396/#!po=50.0000

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now