Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and have a 9 year old... need some council housing advise..

(50 Posts)
Jessie2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:59:00

I moved into a council property after the separation of my partner and have since met someone else and been happy for the last 3 years, he moved in and obviously not I'm pregnant, we have a 2 bed but my 9 year old daughter room is more of a box room and can only fit her bed in, there is no way we could put a cot in there and also surely with her age they wouldn't expect us to put a baby in her room?

Just wanted some advise as not sure what to do as we couldn't afford to privately rent.

Jessie2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:59:30

Meant to say got pregnant!!!! Oops sorry.

Doobydoo Thu 12-Jan-17 14:01:03

Could you put the cot in your room and explore options?

EggnogChai Thu 12-Jan-17 14:04:36

If it's a girl they will expect them to share and if it's a boy they won't. If it's a boy you'll be classed as over crowded and can apply to be rehomed - how long this take ls depends on how many 3 beds are available in your area, how many other people are also applying for 3 beds and their banding.

NerrSnerr Thu 12-Jan-17 14:04:53

Is there room for a cot in your room? For the first 6 months they should be with you anyway if you're following SIDS guidelines. Could that give you enough time to think about other options/ save for a deposit for somewhere bigger?

Jessie2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:09:21

We couldn't get a cot either side of our bed bed even :/ maybe a small crib? But there's no way a cot would go in daughters room, it's tiny! I'll try out a pic up of bedrooms!!!

Jessie2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:10:16

That's my daughters

Jessie2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:10:49

And my room

NerrSnerr Thu 12-Jan-17 14:14:26

The baby will be fine in Moses basket or crib for a while. When they need a cot could you push the bed up against the wall? It could work as a temporary measure?

Artandco Thu 12-Jan-17 14:16:56

baby will have to share your room. You could co sleep or add a cot right against your bed. When toddler can add cot bed size mattress on your floor

Later bunk beds in small room or you sleep in living room.

Artandco Thu 12-Jan-17 14:17:41

You could also squeeze a small double into that small bedroom, then give the children the big room

empirerecordsrocked Thu 12-Jan-17 14:18:07

I think you'd have to push your bed up against the wall and get a crib in there. I think if another girl they would be expected to share.

EggnogChai Thu 12-Jan-17 14:22:31

Sorry I was incorrect if it was a boy they'd be expected to share until your daughter is 10.

In my council anyway check yours as I'm not sure if it differs

Doobydoo Thu 12-Jan-17 14:58:26

Sofabed in sitting room?

thecatsarecrazy Thu 12-Jan-17 16:32:02

You can fit a Moses basket then a cot in your room. We have a 2bed house and in the next few weeks will have 3 children. Baby will be in with us. We are on council list but band c for lack of a bedroom so never get very high on list.

bloodyteenagers Thu 12-Jan-17 16:42:23

Mutual exchange to a bigger property?
There are people in 3 beds that downsize.
Wouldn't wait for the council to move you. Depending on the area the youngest might have left home by then.

user1484247439 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:00:41

I have an 11 year old boy, a six year old daughter and another little girl on the way and we are still in a 2 bed sad

You aren't considered overcrowded unless you have two of differents sexes and that's only when one is over ten years.

Even then you have to wait and there just isn't enough to go around. You can mutual exchange but so many people in two beds need bigger properties in takes a very long time.

X

Artandco Thu 12-Jan-17 19:52:34

Not being funny, but didn't you know your circumstances before having another child? You honestly cannot expect others to house you for your choices beyond basic safe accomadation that you already have

I say that as someone with two children in a one bed flat. They were our choice, we provide for them best we can

Ilovecaindingle Thu 12-Jan-17 19:57:07

Council exchange?

maccheese Thu 12-Jan-17 20:05:22

I'm kind of with artandco on this one.

Life is funny isn't it? DP and I live in a 5 bedroom home and have TTC for 3 years with multiple failed rounds of IVF and here we are rolling around in our 3,500 sq ft home in London desperately wanting to fill our empty bedrooms, but can't.

Jessie2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:16:59

Artandco Was that comment to me?
If so no I didn't know my circumstances, I left my partner who was having an affair had no money no help and ended living with my grandmother for 1.5 years, then was housed by the council, whilst my ex moved his new woman into our old home (which we owned) my name wasn't down on it as I was at home looking after our baby.
So when I met my new partner 3 years ago, was a shock as wasn't planning on meeting anyone or having any more children but sometimes things happen, at the time a 2 bed house ( more like a one) was suitable but now I want to expand my family, we pay our full rent, we are not on any benefits and my partner has a good job.
If we were in a better position I would try and get a mortgage but won't be in that position for 3 years at least!!

YouHadMeAtCake Thu 12-Jan-17 20:19:21

No way we could put a cot in there and also surely with her age they wouldn't expect us to put a baby in her room?

They would expect you to live within your means and have thought about that.

I agree with Art they housed you, you knew how many bedrooms your house had before you became pregnant. You were housed on the basis of your needs at the time, it's not up to them to provide a room per child. How do you think people that own houses manage? They either don't expand their family, do but deal with it or they buy a bigger house.

ConvincingLiar Thu 12-Jan-17 20:19:30

I think artandco's point was that you got pregnant knowing you didn't have a spare bedroom.

At least you're not caught up with the housing benefit restrictions.

NoraDora Thu 12-Jan-17 20:22:10

You can fit a cot in your room.

Later on bunk beds in the small room.

Tbf you knew your circumstances and chose to get pregnant. Now you have to deal with the consequences.

user1484247439 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:33:36

We've been saving for 7/8 years to get out of our flat and just at the time when we have a deposit ready I fell pregnant by accident! We will have to wait another year until I'm off maternity leave to be able to move now, I'll have a one year old and a 7 year old without a spare room for them at that point.

But you know, they don't mind, we don't mind, you will be just as happy with the baby in with you as you would if you have an extra room for them.

It might be a bit squashed up but as long as there's lots of love and care to go around they'll never suffer for it. Three years isn't forever x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now