Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ballet in pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Helbelle75 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:12:12

Has anyone else carried on doing ballet during pregnancy? I'm 27 weeks and still going, but wondering how long people carried on for.

Redpony1 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:52:57

Probably until your balance is compromised and/or you are uncomfortable doing it?

Drs advise carrying on with exercise unless you can't don't they? There was a lady who was 30w pregnant at Parkrun last weekend because it is what she is used to and she is still comfortable

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Thu 12-Jan-17 16:15:09

My colleague was dancing tap until about 32 weeks smile

Helbelle75 Thu 12-Jan-17 21:59:56

I'm still enjoying it and managing fine. I'll just keep going as long as I can. I love it so will be disappointed to have to stop!

Loopsdefruits Thu 12-Jan-17 22:30:06

Not sure if you watched World Ballet Day on youtube last year (2016) the Royal had quite a few pregnant dancers who were continuing while pregnant. I think as long as you are comfortable, and aware of how your body is changing, then carry on smile do 'low impact' stuff, and keep extensions low, maybe avoid turns or big jumps (risk of falling?) but other than that, dancing is super fun and good for your body. I believe that Ballet Beautiful on youtube has some antenatal workouts.

chelle85 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:20:21

I would just expect that you would need to be careful of overstretching because your ligaments will become softer with the hormone relaxin and also your balance when your bump gets bigger

MoonlightMojitos Fri 13-Jan-17 19:04:34

I used to do ballet (stopped a few years ago) but my teacher carried on teaching us til she was almost ready to pop! From the back she didn't look pregnant and I wondered how she didn't topple over! I'm sure it's fine if you don't push yourself smile

HelenaJustina Fri 13-Jan-17 19:08:37

I carried on to 36 weeks (with DC4!) after that my teacher wasn't comfortable letting me continue. Watch yourself as ligaments soften, don't over extend, no deep plies later on as baby may drop down into the pelvis whilst in the 'wrong' position. I found I slowly altered my posture as the bump slowly increased, it shouldn't suddenly throw you off kilter. And any petit/grand allegro work may become less comfortable as you get heavier.
But keeeep dancing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now