Talk

Advanced search

UTI and unsure if I should take antibiotics

(16 Posts)
Amz26 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:49:04

Some advice needed ladies.... So i went to the doctors today and they've told me I have a UTI 😩 I was the one to ask the doctor to do a test as I thought I might have... I can't take penicillin as I get a bad reaction to it so the told me to take Nitrofurantoin but I'm unsure I want to take antibiotics so early in my pregnancy 🤔 The UTI isn't that bad!! I do suffer from them and Im thinking I could maybe clear it up myself 😁 Any advice??? X

TeaBelle Wed 11-Jan-17 10:50:54

My understanding is that uti's can cause serious issues is preterm labour so definitelyrake the meds

LondonRoo Wed 11-Jan-17 10:56:59

Yes, utis can cause serious problems for pregnancy including premature labour. Antibiotics are generally safe and your GP will have selected one that is suitable for pregnant women. Pros of treating a UTI far outweigh any risks of taking antibiotics IMHO.

deai Wed 11-Jan-17 10:58:05

Well, your GP is qualified to weigh the risks and benefits of medication in pregnancy and has decided that the benefits outweigh the risks, so if i were you i would take them.
Theres no way theyd give you anything that wasnt ok to take.

Squishmitten Wed 11-Jan-17 12:48:25

Agree with pp, if your GP has advised it you should take them. UTIs can cause preterm labour and there is tons of evidence that nitrofurantoin is safe in early pregnancy.

Amz26 Wed 11-Jan-17 12:54:13

Thanks ladies for all your advice the doctor when giving it to me had to look in a book to see which antibiotics are safe.. Just put a little doubt in my head! As she didn't seem confident 🤔 Like you all said they wouldn't give me anything that could harm the baby.. It's just amazing how over protective I am so early on xx

divadee Wed 11-Jan-17 13:08:52

I was prescribed the same antibiotics for a UTI. No problems at all. Just a word of warning don't panic when your wee turns funny colours. I had luminous yellow and green at some points. It's a side effect of the antibiotics and totally normal.

LondonRoo Wed 11-Jan-17 13:09:04

She probably checked the BNF guidelines which are the most recent national guidelines as to what meds are recommended and when.

I would see it as a good thing that she double checked which ones were recommended as the safest!

They are more likely to check if there are unusual circumstances so they aren't just prescribing the first thing they usually would - so being pregnant and being allergic to penicillin (which may be he typical first antibiotic a gp might turn to) might have prompted her to look.

Sounds to me like you have a very careful and diligent GP there!

arbrighton Wed 11-Jan-17 13:20:36

I'd be happier if the GP if looked in the book too to check what you could take.

They can't be expected to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every medication and its contraindications in their heads- that's what the book is for

Blueroses99 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:21:31

As PP have said, UTIs can cause issues later in pregnancy so please never avoid getting them treated as the alternative is much worse in terms of harm for the baby.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 11-Jan-17 13:22:42

All drs I know check the bnf at some point, especially when you can't take the standard drugs due to allergy. Take the abx.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Wed 11-Jan-17 13:32:36

It'll be the BNF which all doctors and nurses look at all the time so don't worry.

Amz26 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:39:31

Ok great, thanks everyone really appreciate all your comments! Sounds like a have a good GP then.. Just nervous as it my first pregnancy and I just want it to go smoothly smile
divadee haha thanks for the warning I won't panic now, thanks X

sj257 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:41:13

I have taken those this pregnancy everything fine, now 39 weeks

JOMH1982 Wed 11-Jan-17 14:22:03

I was also put on this antibiotic 9 weeks ago at 15 weeks for a uti and all is fine. Definitely worth taking to avoid preterm labour xx

Amz26 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:02:08

Thanks again ladies xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now