Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Miscarriage Query

(6 Posts)
Angel0247 Tue 10-Jan-17 21:41:20

Hi there,

I am 22 years of age and found out I was pregnant on 17th December 2016. 2 weeks after I had a light brown bleeding appear every time I would wipe, so therefore I got worried and booked a GP appointment. Gradually after a week the bleeding got slightly heavier but only when I would wipe. When I went to my GP appointment I was referred to the Early Pregnancy Unit where they did a scan. The scan confirmed that my baby was only at 4 weeks and 6 days when it should have been 6 weeks and 6 days. I was told that the baby was not at the right size and did not match the dates from my last period. They told me to come back in 2 weeks for a scan to see if the baby grows and if I bleed within that time and the blood is bright red then that means the baby is no longer alive and it would mean I have miscarried.

As soon as I come back from the scan on Thursday 5th Jan 2017, within an hour my bleeding turned bright red and I was in agony with sharp pains in my back and stomach. I then passed a clot which looked pretty much like the feotus but not sure if I passed the sac aswell, however I do recall something being in the toilet after I passed the clot that looked like a foetus. I now have stopped bleeding after 3 days but am not sure if that is the full miscarriage complete. I am concerned.

I work in a school in the office administration area and do not feel ready for work; I feel emotionally not able and seeing kids will not help. I recently got married so people always ask when I will have kids. I have informed my manager and been off sick since Wednesday 4th Jan 2017. The only reason I was not at work Wednesday was because I had diarrhoea. Then on Thursday I miscarried. I have been to the doctor's as I'm concerned because the bleeding has stopped already, I was expecting it to be longer and the Doctor told me to await for the scan which was booked with the EPU and see if everything is okay.

I still get occasional cramps and I feel very tired and have flu like symptoms. I just need to know where I stand within the law of the UK with having time off for a miscarriage? Am I okay to have the 2 weeks off the doctor suggested as they said they will give me a sicknote for 2 weeks? Also, do you think I have completely miscarried? I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

Celticlassie Tue 10-Jan-17 22:26:33

So sorry for your situation. It sounds horrible. flowers]

I'm pretty sure if your doctor gives you a sick note for two weeks you are legally entitled to take that time off, whether it's for a miscarriage or any other illness.

Celticlassie Tue 10-Jan-17 22:26:48

flowers

Goldengirl42 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:38:31

Angel, I'm not a legal expert so I can't answer the question, but I did want to respond to your post and say how sorry I am to hear about your situation.

I would really recommend that you request another scan to check that you have completely miscarried. If the bleeding has stopped then you probably have but it's worth checking.

There's a miscarriage section where you can post if you want some support or advice from other MNers.

Shainamarpia Thu 12-Jan-17 20:19:04

Hi Angel. I'm not sure if you have already done so but if not you really need to phone up the epu again and get another scan to see if the miscarriage is complete ECT. It's really important they check that it's completed naturally in case you need medical intervention.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, it just so youre safe.
I'm really sorry for your loss, nothing compares. flowers

SweepTheHalls Thu 12-Jan-17 20:21:15

Take the time that you need off. I had 2 weeks off of school after my miscarriage - there is no way I could have dealt with the children in the early days. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now