Talk

Advanced search

What were your periods like before BFP?

(15 Posts)
WhingeFuckingWhinge Tue 10-Jan-17 18:46:35

Have another thread re the length of periods as I'm now early 30s, no DCs yet, not on any birth control but my periods have changed from 4-5 days to only 2 days with medium to light flow followed by a few days of spotting. Cycles have changed from 28 days to 32 days but very regular.

Wondering if this could indicate a possible fertility issue but not sure if I should see GP or not so thought I'd ask here before you fell pregnant, how long were your periods?

WhingeFuckingWhinge Tue 10-Jan-17 20:54:48

Noone blush

Squishmitten Tue 10-Jan-17 21:10:58

I can't comment on the change in period length, but my cycles have changed in length since my early 20s from 29 days to 26-27 days in my early 30s, so I'm fairly sure it's fine for cycles to change length over time. I have a 5 month old and no trouble conceiving btw.

32 days is well within what's considered normal asfaik and the fact they are regular indicates you're prob ovulating at around the same time each month.

I found tracking my basal body temp while ttc very reassuring. It showed I was ovulating on a particular day each cycle. Would you consider trying that?

haveacupoftea Tue 10-Jan-17 21:18:08

My periods did that when I turned 29!went from 5 heavy days to 2 light days. I was convinced I was in early menopause lol. I wasn't!

WhingeFuckingWhinge Tue 10-Jan-17 21:59:39

@haveacupoftea yes that's what I was worried about - early menopause!!

Yes I would track BBT as I think that would reassure me!

iCoCo Tue 10-Jan-17 22:09:28

I also went from awful heavy periods in my teens and 20s to 2-3 day light periods. I was convinced when I came off the pill at 35 it was a sign there was a problem as it was mostly dark brown blood. I googled loads and couldn't find out if it was a problem or not.
I was seeing an acupuncture and the period before I conceived it was still a light 3 days but the blood was a deep red. The following month I conceived after nearly 9 months. Not sure if this was a coincidence but I felt that I had had a clear out. Good luck and if you are worried, I would recommend a fertility check to put your mind at ease.

harrietm87 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:39:47

This has recently happened to me. I've just turned 30 and about to start ttc. In the last 4-5 months my cycles have gone from 4-5 days, medium flow to 2-3 days with the first day heavy and the rest light. Average cycle length has gone from 30-32 days as well. I've read that cycles
change as you get older so hoping that's it. Good luck!

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 11-Jan-17 09:46:52

Crazy cycles between 28-72 days. Diagnosed with PCO. Had Clomid to conceive DC1, DC2 conceived naturally when DC1 was 13 months old (no periods at all between the two!)

Since having DC3 and hitting my mid 30s my cycles have got a bit shorter but in no way regular.

DizzyNorthernBird Wed 11-Jan-17 09:54:16

I'm 37 and pregnant now but it took nearly 2 years to conceive naturally. Came off contraception in 2008 but was 'careful' until the end of 2014 when we started ttc.

Since coming off bc my periods had always been irregular but I hadn't been too concerned until ttc when I started tracking cycles and found my cycles ranged between 31-41 days. AF was similar to yours, 2 days medium flow (usually following a couple of days of spotting) then 3-4 days of very light flow/spotting which was gradually getting lighter as I got older. After one 52 day cycle I went to see my GP and she referred me for a pelvic scan, which was when I found out (at the grand old age of 36!) that I have pcos.

If your planning to ttc, I would go to your GP now and explain your concerns and see if they can refer you now to see if you have pcos. You can wait to see how you get on but otherwise they'll only make a fertility referral after 12 months if no bfp as you're not over 35. Whereas if you say you're concerned about pcos they might refer you now for a pelvic scan now so at least you're already aware if there's an issue if you have problems further down the line, if that makes sense?

DizzyNorthernBird Wed 11-Jan-17 09:56:50

Sorry just saw that your periods are more regular! Yes I would try bbt tracking, I did that so I knew that despite the pcos I was actually ovulating and when.

It could just be that some months you're just releasing the egg a day or so late which would cause the slightly longer cycle?

mrscrocopop Wed 11-Jan-17 13:58:31

My cycles ranged from semi regular 30 day cycles & then with the odd 40 to 50 day cycle at random times. I was given a diagnosis of poly cystic ovaries.
If you are concerned about the potential impact on conception then it's really hard to say. I got BFP straight away.

WhingeFuckingWhinge Wed 11-Jan-17 14:30:48

Thanks for all the replies.

I hope I don't have any issues - i just panic sometimes and worry a lighter shorter period means I'm not building up a thick womb lining or something! Comforting to know that others with shorter lighter periods have conceived ok so maybe this in itself isn't necessarily a worry.

If my periods had always been this way I wouldn't think twice about it but it was the change that worried me although when they first changed I did mention to gp at my routine smear but she said as they were still very regular I shouldn't worry and that longer heavier periods would be a bigger concern so as pp's have said, it may just be a natural change to my cycle that doesn't necessarily mean anything

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 11-Jan-17 14:34:51

There's a TTC topic which you might find useful to have a look through

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception

and it might even be worth asking MNHQ to move this thread there as I think that's where you'll find more people with the relevant expertise/experience.

Jemimapuddleduk Wed 11-Jan-17 14:42:38

Mine were very light and scanty after coming off the pill in my early 30's. Wedid have problems conceiving our first child but I don't think this was related to the light periods. Periods were heavier and more normal following birth of dd (via iui) and conceived ds very easily quite soon after having dd. They have gone a bit lighter and shorter again now at 38 but wondering if it's a peri menopause thing.

SuperUnicorn Wed 11-Jan-17 15:50:48

Mine were erratic, irregular and light. I have pcos and am early/mid thirties in the years we have ttc. I did have two natural pregnancies that I lost and then needed clomid for this current one. My light cycles were never mentioned as a cause for concern and I did question it as I was wondering if there wasn't enough lining there to sustain a pregnancy. Scans confirmed the lining was on the thin side but not thin enough for them to be concerned. I would usually only have one day of light/medium flow and then a few days of spotting, usually brown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now