Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm dreading my 12 week scan

(9 Posts)
JellyBert Tue 10-Jan-17 18:45:03

Pregnant with DC2. Had spotting which I didn't have with DS & SIL had a MMC at her 12 week scan last year so I booked an early private scan for reasurrance.
Heard the heartbeat at 8 week scan, however there is a bleed next to the sack. She said it was necessarily anything to worry about but she needed to point it out.
I had a tiny little bit of speckled discharge today when I wiped, just the once, but I have 100% convinced myself I've had a MMC. My 12 week scan is Saturday morning (I know! I didn't know they did weekends) but I'm so worried I just don't want to go sad
I feel like I can't take the pain if it is, then feel ridiculous as I've had no major bleed or cramping & I heard a heartbeat so thinking should be mostly positive. Just can't help being so anxious!
Basically need some kind words & positive stories?
Sorry for being so pathetic blush

Fizzyboo Tue 10-Jan-17 18:52:41

I bled for about a month. Had scan at 6 weeks, little heart beat. I took tests every day to try and convince myself I was still pregnant despite the constant bleeds/spotting. I had a big bleed. Doc reckoned miscarriage, wouldn't even book me in to have first appointment with midwife.
She's laying snoozing away in my arms. She proved them all wrong wink

feesh Tue 10-Jan-17 18:57:31

I can so relate to this. I had a sub chorionic haematoma identified at 6 weeks (the little bleed thing) on my first scan, and so by the 12 week scan I was a jibbering wreck.

I saw a really crap doctor for that and she said it had grown and looked much worse. So she sent me off to the sonography department for a more detailed scan (we aren't in the U.K., hence the different set up) and while I was waiting I googled it and there was a 50% chance of miscarriage if a SCH that large was spotted at the 12 week scan. I was a complete wreck.

But the sonographer had a much better scanning machine and said everything looked perfect and the consultant had been looking at one of my ovaries, not an sch! I burst into tears with relief and promptly switched doctors.

I am now 20 weeks and there have been no issues since (TOUCH WOOD because you never stop worrying even after every scan! Today's crisis was that I hadn't felt the baby move for 35 hours). Most SCHs get absorbed before 12 weeks and I also personally know loads of people who have had actual bleeds in early pregnancy without any longer term issues.

Good luck for Saturday.

FuzzyOwl Tue 10-Jan-17 18:58:00

I've had a mmc and two successful pregnancies. I had far more symptoms (sore breast etc) with my mmc but never bled at all. I had spotting and cramping in both of my successful pregnancies.

I know that lots of people see 12 weeks as the point your pregnancy is usually safe but in reality if you see a heartbeat at eight weeks, the odds are virtually the same - nearly all miscarriages are caused by chromosome abnormalities and at eight weeks the baby is fully formed.

Thinking of you and sending lots of positive vibes for your pregnancy.

Fizzyboo Sat 14-Jan-17 13:44:39

How'd it go OP?

JellyBert Sat 14-Jan-17 13:48:03

Thanks for asking @Fizzyboo it all went well. Baby has nice heartbeat & managed to get all the measurements. I was so relieved & she was a student so took about a minute of looking before telling me, I was on tenderhooks & actually can't believe it's still OK!
Only trouble is I still have two bleeds in my womb 😞 However the sonographer wasn't concerned & my 20 week scan has been booked so no need to be monitored... I suppose will just see what happens. Hoping it will disappear by then.
Thanks for thinking of me x

Fizzyboo Sat 14-Jan-17 13:54:59

gringringrin great news! Try not to worry about the bleed, I had one too, the implantation process can be pretty brutal in there! Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy!

Twinkladdictmum Sat 14-Jan-17 13:58:59

If you have seen a heartbeat, you have over an 80% chance of a live birth, regardless of how early you saw it. The odds are hugely in your favour.

I had a massive bleed with my twins, running down both legs and i was sure i had lost at least one. They are both here, fine.

LandLock Sat 14-Jan-17 14:20:20

That sounds promising. I had bleeds and cramps right through my last two opregnancies and having previously had a miscarriage I was sure I would miscarry again. Luckily everything went well and DC3 and DC4 were born happy and healthy. It's just a shame that you have to spend your whole pregnancy worrying although I'm not sure you can do anything about it.

It's just a one day at a time type of thing. I gradually felt more confident as time went on although I can't say I relaxed until they were Bon. I'm really not a worrier usually but if you are beefing and cramping it's hard not to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now