Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Retained placenta... midwife said will probably happen again.

(31 Posts)
mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:13:43

I'm only 10 weeks, we had been trying for over 6 months so we are obviously very happy and so is my mother, she has told everyone!
I have a two year old DS, and after birth I had a retained placenta. Had a woman trying to pull it out after I'd just given birth for 20 minutes with no pain relief.. was worse than the actual birth. So I got taken down to theatre, had a spinal tap and was out 20 minutes later and back on the ward. But it was so scary, and humiliating that I'm terrified it will happen again. My midwife said I will probably have another retained placenta with this baby too. And I'm bricking it, does anyone have any experience with this?

Howtocatchastar Mon 09-Jan-17 20:17:34

Happened to me with my second child, first child it was delayed for one hour, but did finally detach. Third child, came out on its own no problem at all. I was really worried too and still remember how painful it was after just giving birth - I had to wait three hours to go into theatre and dreaded it happening again, but thankfully it didn't.

pinkpixie83 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:19:09

I had a retained placenta with my first and it was a horrific experience. But I went on to have two more with no issues. I did have some extra drugs and was told I couldn't refuse the placenta injection the give you.

MistyMeena Mon 09-Jan-17 20:20:16

I had this for my first and was consultant led as a result for second - they said high chance of it happening again. It didn't! Second was very straightforward indeed.

Snowflakes1122 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:23:54

Are you being referred to a consultant?
I had a miscarriage and lost a lot of blood and had to go to theatre too.

I know they say there's a higher risk of it happening again, but I had three other children and this didn't happen.
Hopefully you'll be referred to a consultant where you can discuss your worries.

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:33:17

I think I am yeah, as I'm in shared care or something? For my bmi being too low, same as when I was pregnant 2 years ago. Thank you all so much for replying and sharing your experiences, I'll have to keep reading them over and over again to help me calm down!

mountainshadow Mon 09-Jan-17 20:40:06

Many congrats on your pregnancy. I had a similar experience with my first. Did you have a debrief with the hospital after your first? The supervisor of midwives went through my notes with me and explained that there is a difference between retained placenta that is stuck to the wall of the uterus and one that is not stuck but won't come out without help. Sorry someone medical probably can explain the terminology better... anyway mine was the second kind and I was still classed as low risk for the second pregnancy, able to have water birth, natural third stage etc and it didn't happen again. But I think if it had been a true retained placenta I would have been consultant led. Hope that's vaguely helpful and wishing you all the best.

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:54:20

Yeah that makes sense, I didn't have a brief of anything to be honest. I am going to speak to the midwife/consultant at my next appointment to put my mind at ease. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

SprogletsMum Mon 09-Jan-17 20:56:24

Not me but my 2 of my friends had a retained placenta with their second children and went on to have a third with no problems.

ExpectoPatronummmm Mon 09-Jan-17 20:57:32

I had it too (I guess it's more common than I thought)
Mine was even more humiliating than yours as I had all sorts of people trying for a full hour to get it out. When everntually a man came and (as my OH tells me) rammed his hand up to his elbow up my foof and pulled it out. It was horrible.
Hope it doesn't happen this time....

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:02:14

It's so degrading! When she had her hand up there I was holding in the screams! But I suppose if I'm going to do it again that i and the medical staff would be prepared. I hope they would just take me down to theatre.

mountainshadow Mon 09-Jan-17 21:03:37

Fingers crossed for everyone in a similar situation. I agree (attempted) manual removal probably the most painful and humiliating experience ever... hope the consultant can put your mind at risk once you see them.

BlairWaldorfxOxO Mon 09-Jan-17 21:07:48

I also had a horrible time with retained placenta. Keen to hear about other experiences flowers

girlsyearapart Mon 09-Jan-17 21:10:56

First - no rp
Second- rp, labour with only gas and air then lost a load of blood while they tried to remove it. Theatre was full and there was no room for me.
Thankfully my sister was there as she saw me almost drop the baby as I was losing consciousness through blood loss.
Ended up having placenta removed in theatre with spinal block ( stopped someone having a c section)followed by blood transfusion and 5 day stay in hospital.. Awful.
Third- easy labour, placenta was retained but a doctor managed to remove it with no surgery.
When the baby was born I said 'and the placenta??' in the space where people usually saying 'boy or girl?'blush
Fourth- placenta out no problem not retained.
My mum and sister both had rp once each and we were told it runs in families. Don't know how true that is though.
Good luck and congrats

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:15:57

It's so good to hear other people's experiences! I think I'm gonna be saying that this time instead of "boy or girl"
I even had that massive injection in my leg after giving birth and that didn't budge it! And I went all the way through labour on 2 hours sleep and just gas and air. I thought I had done really well, then had to have someone's hand up me for 20 minutes, then another few people having a go in theatre. Like I said though, I can prepare for it this time.

girlsyearapart Mon 09-Jan-17 21:19:19

I was really frightened going in to theatre and asked if my husband could come and the doctor said ' your husband does NOT need to see this!'
Then asked me to sign a consent form to an emergency hysterectomy if necessary. I was so out of it they had to hold the pen in my hand.

RogueStar01 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:21:23

Same experience here with dc1, the PPH and manual retrieval were the worst - didn't happen with dc2 though although that was what I was most terrified of. The consultant said they thought most likely my v long 44 hour labour with dc1 meant knackered uterine muscles or some such. My mum had it too. I comforted myself with the fact that I'd survived and forgotten it once so even if it happened again, I would do the same again and have my lovely dc2

ExpectoPatronummmm Mon 09-Jan-17 21:24:23

I thought I was a one off until I read this post.
I remember they tried tugging it, injecting the placenta, injecting me, getting me to stand over a commode at the hope gravity would bring it out, trying to scoop it out gently. Then they gave me that tablet and told me I was off to theatre. Then they told me they had one last idea which is when the Indian man who spoke no English came in; smiled at me then BAM his hand disapeered, rummaged around inside and yanked the lot out.
Gosh did it hurt.
Now terrified it's gonna happen again!!
Also getting terrified of the pain of birth and this is my third!! Eeeek

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:25:08

He was right!! No one needs to see that other than medical professionals. blush Rougestar01, that's a lovely way to think about it. I think I'm so traumatised because I was in labour for so long, I was very tired and everything hurt! Then there was a mad panic then still in theatre.. was a strange experience.

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:30:00

I don't think I could take the yanking and pulling again, the pain is okay I can handle that... sounding like a whale. The woman trying to pull it out eventually said "no I can't do this anymore, it's borderline abuse get the papers for her to sign" I'd rather they just took me straight to theatre and then back on the ward. Also, I do not want to stay in hospital again. 4 days was enough last time!

NoodieRoodie Mon 09-Jan-17 21:31:41

Yep, DC1 I had manual removal by doctor sausage hands with just a whiff of gas and air having had a 9lb 7 baby with no pain relief. It was the threat of 'we'll give this one more go then it'll be theatre and spinal' that made me grit my teeth for England! I'd not managed my home birth there was no way I wasn't getting a 6 hour discharge grin.

DC2 lovely home birth, placenta came fairly quickly after the injection and I was more excited about that than the baby! DC3 another lovely home birth, no need for the injection as the dam thing practically flew out of me!

It was my biggest fear second and third time round but my midwife said that although the risk of having a retained placenta again was slightly higher than for someone who'd never had one it wasn't something to worry too much about.

mamarach26 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:35:10

My midwife dismissed a home birth and said I couldn't have baby in a delivery suite and not the birthing centre. sad obviously I don't want to put the baby in any danger, or me. But its disappointing!

maryelizabeth71 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:51:24

I had one of these too with my 3rd baby. Lovely calm home birth but then a bloody (literally) painful horror show. Tried pulling the cord but it broke, then had to call an ambulance and lost lots of blood.

Manually extracted by doctor whose hand was elbow deep, then a spinal and a procedure to check it was all gone. A spell in HDU then 4 pints of blood!!!

If you've had one already I think the chances are slightly higher of another........ I wouldnt recommend a home birth if you've had a RP before.

At least you can plan for the eventuality though.

Good luck :-)

CoreyTaylorsMask Mon 09-Jan-17 21:59:17

I've had 3 retained placenta's! First birth absolutely fine - placenta came away quite nicely. 2nd birth placenta wouldn't budge then the cord snapped so whisked off to theatre for a spinal block and manual removal. 3rd birth, had been told it might happen again - and it did. By the 4th birth I was expecting it! Again whisked off to theatre for spinal block etc etc. No family history of retained placenta's and never met anyone else it's happened to.

RogueStar01 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:04:24

i was told i 'wasn't a candidate' alongside a kind snigger from the midwife for a home birth either mama, after the PPH that heralded the manual retrievals though, I was down with that! However the baby comes, it's yours for at least 18 years to snuggle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now