Talk

Advanced search

Maternity clothes?

(33 Posts)
LadyTnewmum Mon 09-Jan-17 15:31:55

Hi, I'm new to mumsnet and a first timer in this whole pregnancy thing, am 15 weeks + 3.

Wondering if anyone can recommend cool maternity clothes that don't cost the earth? I've looked at H&M, Topshop, Asos, Seraphine, Isabella Oliver and it just feels like it's all the same stuff and quite boring TBH.

Obviously don't want to spend tons of money but need to buy some new clothes, my pre-pregnancy jeans and trousers don't fit and getting sick of my tracky bums!

Any other suggestions?

Ta!

2014newme Mon 09-Jan-17 15:33:50

I liked isabella Oliva so comfortable.

10Betty10 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:35:16

I've had a nightmare finding decent maternity jeans, have ordered tried and retuned 8 pairs! (I know this makes me sound a bit picky- I'm genuinely not a diva I promise!) The best I've found have been Topshop Leigh over bump by far, if that helps at all!

welshweasel Mon 09-Jan-17 15:35:29

Welcome to the world of stripy tops and poorly fitting jeans!! I lived in jojo dresses for work, jeans from H&M, a denim mini from seraphine, tops from gap and H&M, dresses from gap and one posh frock from Isabella Oliver heavily discounted in the sale.

FrizzBombDelight Mon 09-Jan-17 15:36:11

I'm just going for skinny mat jeans and normal tops, but I have no style!

welshweasel Mon 09-Jan-17 15:36:45

I bought loads from gap as there's always at least 30% off if you sign up online. It's free delivery over £50 and free returns so I used to order loads and send back what I didn't like.

10Betty10 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:37:05

Also have found buying tops in much larger sizes and doing the over size thing looks good with the Leigh jeans and heeled boots (I'm a 10, have been buying 16-18 tops to do this) and also means you can still have interesting fabrics and colours

lexi873 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:53:59

This is my 3rd pregnancy and the maternity clothes haven't improved much in 9 years!
I bought a few things from New Look this time but can only order them online not in store, also they seem to be fairly small sized.
Got a pair of jeans from Asos and I'm 38 weeks and they still fall down!
Just counting down the days till I can stop living in two rotated pairs of leggings!
Sorry not much help lol

Sparklyuggs Mon 09-Jan-17 17:31:47

I found some nice bits in ASOS but I had to buy a lot then return 75%. My normal look is floral dresses and ankle boots and their maternity dresses are nice so.its not too hard. Some of the other stuff it's downright horrible and looks like a hideous tent convention wink

pinkcandyflossy Mon 09-Jan-17 17:58:30

I am 16+1 and have go far avoided anything maternity except for a pair of skinny jeans that come down and are too wide at the ankle for my liking (I will raw hem them myself so make them more wearable with ankle boots)

If it helps I got some really nice dresses from Cos and all saints silk dresses (work with leggings and ankle boots...) but in larger sizes and I can wear them after having a baby too. I am planning on avoiding any maternity clothes for as long as possible!

IDontLookMyAge76 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:30:58

I like to wear oversized clothes anyways so only real adjustments I've made as some mat jeggings n leggings n a few maternity tops to go under oversized jumpers n cardis. Really annoying that my.mat jeggings don't fit as well as I would like n I need to wear a bump band and tuck my vest in so they mostly stay up but otherwise just been living in my normal clothes. I bought a mat dress from h&m the other day that I'll be able to wear when bump us gone but otherwise yeah, been really hating the 'choices' out there 😑

casiopeia Thu 12-Jan-17 09:56:53

I am not usually fussy but pregnancy cloths are not colourful enough for me and look too mumsy on me (compared to my usual style). Before Xmas, I found two lovely comfy stretchy warm dresses at TKMaxx randomly (while killing 12 minutes wating for a cab) and since then I have been back and found more- dresses, tops, cardigans, even a gorgeous wrap winter coat (no buttons so expandable and much more flattering than pregnancy winter coats that make me look like a sausage going on an arctic expedition), for very reasonable prices.

All items are non pregnancy but either oversized by design and look equally good with a bump, or stretchy, bump-hugging or simply wrap style for cardigans and coat, that are expandable with the bump.

So it is mostly dresses and warm tights for me at the moment. I miss jeans but all of pregnancy ones seem to be sliding down as I walk. I am yet to find the perfect pair.

FashionMommy Fri 13-Jan-17 09:42:54

I found out recently that Boohoo does maternity clothing, it's not the best quality but for a fraction of price some items are really great, really loved this dress although it's more occasion dress.

Celticlassie Fri 13-Jan-17 11:15:22

I'm 25+6 and still find maternity tops too big. Jeans are fine (all under bump from ASOS but tops massive. I'm a 10 normally and trying to get by with the few size 12 tops that I've accumulated over the years. The number is diminishing every day though.

kel12345 Fri 13-Jan-17 11:19:11

I didn't buy maternity clothes. All I did was buy a few pairs of leggings in the next size up, dresses in the next size up, and shoes in the next size up.
I was small though, I didn't need them until I was 7 months gone

Celticlassie Fri 13-Jan-17 11:29:29

For anyone who's tried them, how's H&M's sizing for mat jeans? My friend says they come up quite small.

welshweasel Fri 13-Jan-17 11:59:33

Small. Size up a size. Fab over the bump jeans though.

ALLthedinosaurs Fri 13-Jan-17 13:22:13

I sized up for my H&M jeans. Bloody loved them though

10Betty10 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:03:37

The H and M skinnies are veery narrow in the leg I found. I'm a size 10 normally and I couldn't even get my thighs in their 14! And I've lost weight during first trimester. Very small sizing (although if you are tall with v slim legs they would be perfect)

Picklepickle123 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:35:05

Thank you 10Betty10 - I thought it was just me!

haveacupoftea Sun 15-Jan-17 10:25:39

I am just counting down the days until it is acceptable to wear maxi dresses - I am going to buy a few and rotate.

10Betty10 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:36:43

Haha no problem picklespickle- H&M maternity jeans shopping no was a real low point for me. Was so hormonal I had a little cry in the changing room with a pair of skinny jeans wedged onto my (apparently giant) calf.

FashionMommy Mon 16-Jan-17 11:03:47

Just got an email that there is 20% off Asos maternity clothing, you can find discount code here

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Jan-17 11:07:14

Amazon
eBay

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Mon 16-Jan-17 11:12:42

H&M maternity stuff comes up very small. I actually cried in the changing room trying on some maternity skinny jeans. Not good for the self esteem when you already feel like a ship in full sail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now