Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Kick counting

(7 Posts)
harleysmammy Mon 09-Jan-17 12:07:06

Hi, i just got back from the midwife and everything was fine but im not 24 weeks and have read a few times you should start kick counting at 24 weeks? My midwife said 28 and the hospital said 25 weeks but some people say 24-28 weeks is when tol start? Im petrified to start counting, he moves all the time but i over panic about everything so i know if he moves differently one day to the next, im gunna panic. J just like feeling him without worrying haha, should i bother counting the kicks or should i just make sure im aware of him moving? X

ExpectoPatronummmm Mon 09-Jan-17 13:00:22

My midwife said 28 weeks
And I can see why. Because as soon as I reached 28 weeks the kicks are way more frequent and stronger.

Barefootcontessa84 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:26:40

Don't expect any sort of pattern until 28 weeks

Barefootcontessa84 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:27:28

And even then it can vary! It's more about being aware rather than counting religiously and getting yourself worked up.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 09-Jan-17 13:38:26

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules - i've not hit 28 weeks yet but I have had fairly regular pattern of movement for a few weeks so if I noticed a big drop off I'd contact my midwife. I never counted kicks in previous pregnancies though, I just knew what my 'normal' felt like.

FeelingForSnow Mon 09-Jan-17 14:53:20

As much as I agree with the previous posts I also think that you must not ignore your worries. There is always a degree of a unsupported pregnancy worry (and we all have it) but that should not put you off contacting your MF.

This is my 3rd pregnancy. In my first 12 years ago there wasn't that great emphasis on counting kicks at all. I was only told to call if he stopped for a day or so. And that was when I was quite far gone. And he did stop sometimes and I went to the hospital and all was fine.

I think mine was just on the lazy side and to be honest that has not changed in these 12 years.

This time round Im a bit older, more panicky and add MF's kick counting guide and it all has suddenly become so stressful.

harleysmammy Mon 09-Jan-17 16:14:22

The post was meant to say i am 24 weeks haha. He moves all the time and i feel him everyday but i know once i start counting im gunna look for something to worry about. Im always aware of him kicking and if i dont feel him, i sit down and have some orange juice or cold water and nearly all the time he moves, if i didnt feel him i would definitely call the midwife. I did that 2 weeks ago and she was the only that told me to not worry until 25 weeks, i dont know if i should just make sure i feel him everyday but not count for my own sanity haha x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now